Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fried Banana Splits

Basically this recipe is Bananas Foster without the rum. But let me tell you, you don't miss it one bit. I was watching Giada at Home the other day and she made a similar recipe. It looked so tasty and was really quick to pull together, so I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did. This dessert is amazingly delicious, I literally just scarfed down my bowl so fast, I barely remembered to breath. If you have a bunch of bananas sitting around, give this baby a shot. You won't regret it.

Fried Banana Splits
1 banana per person
vanilla frozen yogurt, or ice cream
about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 water
2 tablespoons butter

Start by melting together the water and chocolate chips over a double boiler. I forgot to take a picture of this step, but you definitely want to do this first. Once the butter begins to melt this process goes fast, so melt the chocolate sauce first and you'll be glad you did. Then put the brown sugar on a plate or in a cake/pie dish. As you can probably tell, you won't use all of the brown sugar, you just want it to cover the bottom of the dish so you can lay the bananas on it. Slice the bananas across the center and then cut each piece in half. Lay the bananas center-side down on the sugar. Push gently so some brown sugar sticks. Then flip the bananas slices over and repeat.

 Meanwhile melt the butter over medium-low heat. When the butter begins to really sizzle, drop the bananas center-side down into the butter.
Like so.
Flip the bananas after about 30 seconds and cook the second side for about 30 seconds as well. You want there to be a nice caramel-looking crust on the bananas but be careful not to cook them too long! Any more than 30 seconds and you end up with bananas mush on the inside. You want the bananas still to be slightly firm.
Place the bananas on a few scoops of vanilla frozen yogurt and drizzle the chocolate sauce over the top. Repeat until you have a bowl for each person. Then, if you are anything like me, gobble it down. And yes, those are horses on the bowl. It's vintage and I loved horses when I was little (I got it when I was young and I've hung on to it). Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Catching up on old posts! I remember this dessert like I had it yesterday. I love the combination of bananas and chocolate, and this dish really delivered. I'm sure it's just about the least healthy thing in the world, but if you are a banana fan, it is absolutely worth a try. Thinking about it now . . . I could really go for another plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on old posts! I remember this dessert like I had it yesterday. I love the combination of bananas and chocolate, and this dish really delivered. I'm sure it's just about the least healthy thing in the world, but if you are a banana fan, it is absolutely worth a try. Thinking about it now . . . I could really go for another plate.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!