Friday, March 30, 2012

Cheap and Easy Weeknight Dinner Series: Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas

This meal came about in a rather interesting way. I wanted to give this recipe a shot and talked to bf about it. Here is how the conversation went.

Me: I want to try this chicken and black bean dish.
Bf: Ok, what's in it?
Me: chicken, beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes and then you put cheese and sour cream on it and serve it in tortillas.
Bf: It sounds like a quesadilla.
Me: Yeah it's similar to a quesadilla.
Bf: It is a quesadilla.
Me:.....(thinking if I could argue the point) yeaaah, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it like that.

This dinner was so fast and easy, as per the requirements of this series, and it was delicious! Despite the fact that I didn't originally visualize the dish correctly, it was amazing. Both bf and I scarfed down the dinner and burned our tongues. I'm noticing that I do that a lot. Clearly I should work on not humping head first into my food. The only change I might make is I would include a squeeze of lime juice just before baking to include some freshness.

Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
recipe from here

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup salsa
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Splenda
One 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
Shredded cheese, sour cream, olives
about 6 whole wheat quesadillas

We started by heating the olive oil and then adding the onion, garlic and chicken. When the chicken was cooked through and the onion was soft, we added the drained tomatoes, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper, Splenda, and black beans. We also preheated the oven to about 375.
 We stirred the mix and cooked for about 10 minutes until it thickened nicely and most of the liquid was gone.
We scooped several spoonfuls of the mixture onto one half of the tortilla and sprinkled some cheese on top. We didn't have sliced olives but if we did, those would also go in the tortilla.
 We folded the tortillas over and baked for about 10 minutes until the cheese was melted and the top of the quesadillas were slightly crunchy.
We enjoyed the quesadillas with a dollop of sour cream. They were so delicious and definitely something we will make again!

2 comments:

  1. I do not remember that conversation at all, but it sounds very, very typical. For some reason I developed a hankering for Mexican food over the last few weeks, starting with this dinner. I actually made it again recently, and turned it into a *true* quesadilla (you know, by adding a ton of cheese that YS would not have wanted to eat). Very good and also very simple to do. The cumin is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in the grocery store? You asked what we needed? I told you? You laughed at me? Ring any bells? It's a pretty common occurrence so if not, I understand.

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!