Monday, March 26, 2012

Cheap and Easy Weeknight Dinner Series: Curried Chicken Salad

As you may have noticed, usually I share my weeknight series on Friday. Well last week was a little unusual. Earlier in the week, my school work sort of took over my life. Then on Thursday I flew to DC to see bf for my Spring Break. My flight didn't go exactly as planned. I intended to use the hours to work on the paper that was due Friday. Unfortunately, the turbulence was some of the worst I've experienced. Motion sickness is something I've struggled with a lot since pretty much the day I was born. Needless to say I'm sure, I really didn't get a whole lot done. As a result, Thursday night and Friday was consumed with paper writing, and blogging kind of got put on the back burner. Anywho, I do have recipes to share and I hope you like them! This recipe is delicious. It's such a flavorful spin on an old favorite and is, of course because of the title of my series, easy to make.

Curried Chicken Salad
recipe from here

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Curry powder
Zest and Juice of half a lime
2 teaspoons sugar-free honey, agave nectar, or honey
Pinch of garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
1/2 cup quartered grapes
1/4 cup diced red pepper
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1 stalk celery chopped

 I started by cooking the chicken and dicing it up into small bites.
 Then I chopped the celery, red bell pepper, and grapes and added them to the bowl. I also added the almonds. Then, I added some extra grapes for good measure because I love them in my salad.
 In a separate bowl, I mixed together the mayo, curry, lime juice, salt, pepper and honey. Then I added the dressing and mixed everything together in the bowl.
I let the chicken salad cool for about an hour in the fridge. The time isn't really necessary for the temperature, but it really helps the flavor meld together. Then I put a dollop of the salad on a leaf of butter lettuce and rolled it up into a wrap. It would also be great on a sandwich roll and it's amazing plain also. Another great benefit? The salad only gets better with time, so it's perfect for lunch the next day!

3 comments:

  1. Honesty moment: this does not appeal to me at all. I think the problem for me is the grapes. Don't get me wrong -- I love grapes. I just really don't like having fruit in stuff that fruit doesn't belong in. For example, I really don't like when there are random chunks of apple in my salad. I love curry with chicken and might like to try this recipe . . . just no grapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grapes are such a common chicken salad ingredient though! And you can't knock it 'til you try it.

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried it. I knocked it. It happened. Deal with it.

    ... but for you, I'll try it and knock it afterwards, too.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!