Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pumpkin Biscuits with Orange, Honey Butter

As I mentioned, I was up in the mountains this past weekend. It was a great weekend with family and friends and there was tons of delicious food. I volunteered for desserts, per usual, and also decided to bring up some baked goods for breakfast.

Pumpkin Biscuits with Orange, Honey Butter
from here

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
Orange, Honey Butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
note: the orange, honey butter makes more than you need for the biscuits, but keeps nicely in the fridge.

First, I whisked together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
 Then, I added the butter. Using two knives, I cut the butter into the flour until it was the size of small peas.
Then I added the buttermilk and pumpkin. I turned the dough out onto a floured silicone sheet. My dough was really really sticky, so I had to add a lot more flour while I was kneading the dough. It shouldn't really stick to the mat or the rolling pin, so add flour accordingly.
Once the dough was rolled out, I used a circle cookie cutter to make the biscuits. Then I rolled the scraps together and cut out the rest of the biscuits. I baked the biscuits on a parchment covered baking sheet for 11 minutes at 450 degrees.
They were absolutely delicious plain, but...









even more incredible with the orange honey butter. While the biscuits were baking, I used a fork to whisk together the honey, butter and orange zest. I put a little dab on a warm biscuit and literally had to restrain myself so I didn't gobble down all of them. After all, I needed to have some for the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. For me, there's something about a flavor-infused creamy butter that can really make a good biscuit. This looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made biscuits yesterday and someone had commented on the recipe saying instead of cutting the butter into the flour to use a cheese grater to grate your butter! It was super easy, and they turned out great. Although I will admit it was a bit strange to grate an entire stick of butter and a bit stomach-turning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that's such an amazing tip! I wish I had learned that years ago!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!