Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Double Coconut Muffins

One of the benefits of the graduate student life is that for the most part you can live life according to your own internal clock. Most days, I'm likely to go to bed at 1:00 AM and get up at 9:00 AM. Not a normal routine I know, but it works for me. I'm very productive at night when it's super quiet and I always get an insane second wind around 10 or 10:30 PM.

One of the downsides of living a graduate student life is that you can live your life according to your own internal clock. Eating becomes a bit of a challenge. See, if I get up at 9, read some emails, check a few things online, shower, and make tea, by the time I'm ready to think about eating it's probably close to 10:30 AM. I don't want to have a huge breakfast because frankly I'm not that hungry, and if I do, my whole eating schedule is totally off kilter for the rest of the day. However, waiting until lunch and simply having that meal isn't really an option either. I'm one of those annoying people that cannot eat lunch food without having something for breakfast first. I simply CANNOT eat leftovers after waking up and bf and going to a restaurant and eating lunch after sleeping in just won't work. So what's a girl to do? Usually I will just have a yogurt or a cereal bar and then a few hours later have a normal meal. But there are only so many days in a row that one can eat cereal bars. Seriously, I'm about to turn into an apple cinnamon breakfast bar.

I decided that I needed to mix up my morning routine a bit. So a few days back I made my super healthy and uber delicious Banana Flaxseed Bread. That was amazing and it inspired me to try and have some other little breakfast snacks around. It really doesn't take that long to whip together a few things and you can even freeze the leftovers so they last longer. It's a good lesson for myself to not be lazy and just make a quick something on the weekends so my belly is happy during the week.

I subscribed to the Smitten Kitchen emails several months back. Usually I get them when I wake up in the morning, and if I'm being honest, I usually delete them without really reading because I'm tired and not in the mood to cook. But the other day, when I got the recipe for these muffins, even in my sleepy haze I was intrigued. Not only did the recipe give me a chance to try an amazing new product, but these muffins are phenomenal. Hearty, but not heavy, sweet but not too sweet for breakfast, and full of coconut flavor, this recipe will be sticking around in my kitchen for quite some time. Added benefit: super easy to pull together, healthy and the kitchen smelled incredible.

Double Coconut Muffins
from Smitten Kitchen

1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup full fat Greek-style yogurt, at room temperature is best
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature is best
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided

 Start by scooping the coconut oil into a pan. It's going to be thick and sort of a shortening-like consistency. Melt it on super low heat, you want it to just turn clear, but not actually heat up much.
This shows what the container looks like. I'd suggest a Whole Foods or a specialty store, more Safeway stores don't have it.
In a small bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and baking powder. Then add 1/2 cup of the coconut and stir.
 In a larger bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, yogurt, coconut oil and vanilla.
 Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
 Spoon the batter into a paper-lined muffin tin. Note: the recipe only makes about 9-10 muffins so plan accordingly. Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top of the muffins. It might look like too much coconut, but use it liberally! The flakes shrink up and cook into the batter so use more than you think you'd need.
 Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly. The coconut on top will brown and looks beautiful when done.
Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. "Healthy" is a bit of a stretch when it comes to a muffin that ought rightly be called a covered-in-coconut-instead-of-frosted cupcake. Or at least, that's what it tastes like, which is to say, very delicious (assuming you like coconut).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pshhh. The ingredients for a cupcake are totally different! And if not, don't tell me! I want to eat my muffin and enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!