Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chocolate Ganache Covered Macaroons

Psst- I updated my new calendar/bookshelf art to reflect the new month! See it here.

The other day, I rediscovered a great book with tons of amazing recipes. I told you about A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg last year when I tried a few recipes. I don't know if it just got stuck behind other books or what, but I forgot about it. Then, out of nowhere, for some reason the other day I was compelled to go through it for new recipes to try. I came up this recipe for macaroons and thought they would be perfect for my tea party. I'd make a few small changes next time, but I absolutely loved them and will definitely make them again.

Chocolate Covered Coconut Macaroons
from A Homemade Life
3 cups lightly packed sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup egg whites, from about 5 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream


I started by combining the coconut, sugar and egg whites in a sauce pot. I cooked the mix on medium-low, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes.




As the mix started to heat, you can see it gets creamy....
 then after a while it begins to dry out slowly and you can see the coconut flakes. You don't want it to get completely dry, but I think next time I'd cook my mix for a few minutes longer. Once it's finished cooking, turn off the heat and add the vanilla. Stir to incorporate
 I put the mix in a small baking dish, flattened it out, and chilled it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. After an hour, I scooped two tablespoons worth of coconut mix into balls. I placed them on a parchment paper-covered sheet and baked.
I baked at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes until they were a little golden brown on top.
 As you can see the bottoms were a bit gooey, which is why I'd cook the mixture in the pot a few minutes longer.
I let the macaroons cool for a few minutes on the tray, then moved them to a cooling rack. When they were completely cool, I put the rack on top of the tray.
 Next, I heated the cream in a small saucepan. You want it to be steaming but not boiling or curdled. Poor the steaming milk over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for about a minute, then stir until the chocolate is smooth.
 See how smooth it gets? Such a cool trick.
 Here is where I would make a major change. The recipe calls for the chocolate to be spooned over the macaroons. I think it doesn't look very pretty and more importantly, tastes too strongly of chocolate. So next time, I'm going to use one of my frosting piping tools and just do a think drizzle over the top in zig-zags. I think it will be more appealing and have a better coconut to chocolate ratio.
Let the macaroons harden in the fridge for a few hours and enjoy! Don't get me wrong, they were super delicious and very dainty- perfect for a tea party. With a few changes they would be perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I strive for honesty and forthrightness in my comments, so here goes: I hate macaroons. These look like good macaroons, if indeed macaroons can be said to look "good." But I would still take a pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your loss and more macaroons for me :)

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!