Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Black Bottom Pie

I found this recipe in the latest Bon Appetite magazine and decided it would be really fun to make with my nieces while I was up in the mountains. We had a great time making it and it was delicious! Like a chocolate cream pie but with great vanilla as well and the gingerbread cookie crust really amps up the flavor and complexity. It looks a little complex, but once you start cooking, it's really not that hard.

Black Bottom Pie
from here

Gingersnap Crust
6 ounces gingersnap cookies (about 24)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Custard
1 envelope unflavored gelatin powder
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup mascarpone
5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup hot espresso or strong coffee

Assembly
1 cup chilled heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tablespoon dark rum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
Toasted sliced almonds (optional)

 I started by placing the gingersnap cookies in a cuisinart. I crushed the cookies until they were crumbs. Then I added the cream and the melted butter and then mixed again until the crumbs formed a dough. I pressed the dough into the base of a pie dish and gently pressed the crumbs up the side of the dish. I baked the crust for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees. When it was done, I let the crust cool on the counter.
 Next, I put the packet of gelatin in a small bowl and poured the water over it. Then, in a sauce pan, I brought the milk and cream to a simmer.
 In a separate bowl, I whisked together the eggs, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract and rum (but actually the house didn't have rum, so I used Kahlua and it actually worked quite nicely.
 I whisked until it was the thickness of custard, then turned off the heat and stirred in the mascarpone cheese.
 Next, I measured out a cup of the custard into a bowl. I gently stirred in the chocolate and coffee until the chocolate was melted. Then I poured the chocolate custard into the dish and smoothed out the top. I refrigerated the custard for about 30 minutes until it was set.
Then I pulled the pie out of the fridge and poured the room-temperature vanilla custard over the top of the chocolate custard. I put the pie back in the fridge and let it harden for about an hour.
To make the whipped topping, I put the cream and the powdered sugar in a bowl and started to whip with a hand mixer. When the cream started to thicken, I added the Kahlua and the vanilla extract and kept whipping until stiff peaks formed. I scooped the whip cream over the top of the pie and then used a spoon to create gentle swirls over the top of the pie.
 I left off the almonds so my niece who has nut allergies could enjoy the dessert. We also didn't have any cocoa powder (I swear I need to restock the cabinets there with baking supplies), so I grated some of the chocolate over the top for decoration.
This picture shows what the inside of the pie looks like. So delicious and yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Doctoral Student Turned Pastry Chef,

    Please save, bookmark, print out, write down, dog-ear, etch-a-sketch, spell in magnets on the fridge, or otherwise remember this recipe. I demand that you make it for me post haste. That is all.

    Sincerely,

    The Guy Who Will Eat This Entire Pie In One Sitting

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!