Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Biscuit Quest

I am obsessed with biscuits. I have been known to go to a breakfast buffet just for the biscuits. I love them. I can eat tons and tons and never get tired of them. Only problem is, I can never recreate the restaurant biscuit at home. They are tasty and I eat them, but they are never quite as delicious. So I am always game to try a new biscuit recipe. I've tried the recipe on the back of Biscuit mix, tons that I've found online, etc. Sure it gets a bit annoying to keep trying new recipes but I'm willing to give it a shot if it means achieving an amazing biscuit. So when my friend posted a recipe on her blog of the perfect biscuit, I was game to try. I have to say it didn't work out great, but to be fair I cut a lot of corners. I didn't have eggs and it was late and I was hungry, so I just used vegetable oil. I know that's terrible of me. I'm still scolding myself as I write this post. Also, I hate cutting butter into a flour mix. It's probably my least favorite kitchen task ever. It just annoys me and takes too long. So I didn't cut the butter for nearly long enough and the chunks were too big. When I put the biscuits in the oven, the butter kind of melted everywhere and not nearly enough of it was in the biscuit. But...I have fabulous news! My friend gave me a wonderful tip about cutting in butter- you just make sure the butter is super cold and use a grater. How awesome is that! I will never cut in butter again! Hooray! I'm definitely going to try this recipe again and do it right and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Biscuits
from here

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. cream of tartar
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
3/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk

I started by mixing together the flour, baking powder, tartar, sugar and salt.
 Then I cut in the butter. Well sort of. You can see I didn't really do it enough.
 Then I added the milk and the vegetable oil (or egg if you are being good). It was a little too sticky, so I kneaded in some extra flour.
 Then I patted the dough flat to about 1/2 inch thickness and baked for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees.
Don't get me wrong, these guys were good. I had no trouble eating them. I just think that had I not cut corners they would have been even better.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing I waited to post on this one -- I had the pleasure of tasting the "no cut corners" version of this biscuit, and it was very good.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!