Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Whole Wheat Molasses Bread

I was in DC for a few days with bf after New Years. I found this recipe on my friend's blog and it looked great. Mine turned out a little different than her loaf. Mine was darker and a little sweet. As is, the loaf would be great for breakfast or even a dessert. Next time, if I make it as a side, I would probably put in slightly less molasses. Perhaps I was using stronger flavored molasses. Either way, it was very tasty and had a great hearty-wheaty taste..

Whole Wheat Molasses Bread
from delightful country cookin'

1 cup milk
1 T. white vinegar
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup shortening, melted and cooled, or oil


 First, I combined the milk and vinegar and let the milk curdle.
 Then I mixed together the molasses, egg, oil and the milk mix.
 In a separate bowl, I whisked together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Then, I added the flour mix to the wet ingredients and mixed together.
I poured the batter into a greased loaf pan and baked for about 30 minutes at 350. My loaf actually took closer to 35 minutes. I just baked it until I could insert a tooth pick and remove it cleanly.
You can see we really make a dent on the loaf because it was so tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Highly recommended, microwaved with butter/margarine. Not the kind of bread you'll make a sandwich on, but a good dessert if you're avoiding sugar.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!