Thursday, January 5, 2012

Roasted Root Vegetables

Pssst- As part of my plan to better my blog, I've started reorganizing my "My Home" page. See the changes here. If you have any suggestions, please share, I want to hear them!

For New Year's Eve dinner, my host wanted to make a roasted root vegetable side dish. I offered to help and cooked this dish. It was alright. We follow the recipe loosely and made some changes. I would definitely make a few additional changes in the future.

Roasted Root Vegetables
from Bon Appetit

3 cups apple juice
1 cup semisweet white wine (such as Gew├╝rztraminer or Riesling)
3 tablespoons butter

1 1/4 pounds turnips
1 1/4 pounds parsnips
1 1/4 pounds carrots
1 1/4 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
1 1/4 pounds rutabagas

I started by chopping up all of the vegetables. We used the turnips, parsnips, carrots, and rutabagas. We left out the yams because we were having potatoes. We also added yellow beets, leeks, onions, and garlic (because they were called for in a different recipe).
In a sauce pan, I combined the apple cider and wine.
 I cooked for about 30 minutes until the sauce was reduced. Then I added the butter and whisked until smooth.
I poured the sauce over the vegetables, sprinkled with salt and pepper and roasted for about 40 minutes. Next time, I would roast the vegetables on a rimmed baking dish so that the vegetables were in a single level. They needed to get more crispy and the sauce needed to caramelize. Otherwise, I think it would have been excellent. Kind of a blah result, but I'm trying to keep it honest. So there you go. Did you have more success than I did? I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Not recommended, unless you want to try roasting for an hour and a half to see if they soften up more (and try a different sauce). But even then... blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree, although you don't like anything that isn't totally covered with a thick sauce...or hot sauce :)

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!