Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Quinoa Cakes with Lemon, Olive, Parsley

I mentioned yesterday that I had made several recipes with quinoa last week. It actually worked quite splendidly. See, I made a ton of quinoa one afternoon and then just kept it in the fridge and gradually used it throughout the week. It made the recipes so quick and effortless-definitely a technique I would recommend in the future. This recipe initially through me for a bit of a loop because I was having trouble making the cakes, but in the end, I think I came up with something even better.

Quinoa Cakes with Lemon, Olive, Parsley
recipe from Love and Olive Oil

1 1/2 cups raw quinoa (3 cups cooked)
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, beaten
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup coarsely chopped green or kalamata olives (I ended up using more because I love them)
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon olive oil

 I started by whisking the eggs and then setting them aside.
 Then, in a large bowl, I combined everything but the eggs, water and olive oil.
 I tossed it all together then added the eggs and mixed until it was moist.
 Then I added the water and mixed again.
I made my first batch of cakes with a 1/2 cup scooper.
 I had some trouble flipping one of them. I learned you really don't want them to touch the side as you are flipping them because it makes them totally fall apart.
 The other ones turned out alright. See how they are nice and browned on each side?
So these cakes were my dinner one night. But since the mix makes so much, I had the dinner another night.







This time, I tried using 1/4  measuring cup to see if the smaller cakes would hold up better. They didn't. I think you would need a very shallow measuring cup or use a large cup and only fill it up a little bit. I think thin cakes would hold up a lot better. Either that or you need more eggs or water or something to hold them together. But as I was sitting there cursing my stupid mess, it occurred to me that this whole process looked a little like the last step of making fried rice. So, I crumbled up my remaining cakes and decided to make a sort of fried quinoa. I actually loved it. I think it's even better than the cakes because you have a wonderful crunch to more of the quinoa. I will go straight to this step next time. It was delicious and so healthy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great, and the recipe definitely takes advantage of quinoa's reputation as a "superfood" by keeping it simple and healthy. Looking forward to trying this . . .

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!