Friday, January 20, 2012

Molasses Cookies

I went to pull up this recipe the other day and to my horror, I've somehow never posted about these cookies. I'm not sure how that's possible, because they are truly a staple in my kitchen. The recipe came from my great-grandmother, so they are tried and true (times 1000). I feel a sort of affinity with this recipe and other's from my great-grandmother. My middle name is her maiden name and I wonder sometimes if love of baking runs in your genes. Either way, they are absolutely awesome and definitely worth trying if you don't have a go-to molasses cookie recipe.

Nonny Peg's Molasses Cookies
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
sugar for rolling

 I started by melting the butter over low heat. Set aside and let cool slightly. PS- I apologize for the terrible quality of these photos, I made the cookies at 10 pm and the light was terrible but couldn't wait to make them until morning.
 In a small bowl, I whisked together the flour, salt, spices and baking soda. Confession: I actually forgot the baking soda so my cookies turned out a little smaller than usual but they were amazingly delicious as always.
 In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, molasses, egg and butter.
 Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
Once the dough is chilled, scoop small balls of dough (a little over a tablespoon, about a tablespoon and a half I'd say. But I just use a spoon and eye-ball it). Drop the dough in a small bowl of sugar and roll around until all surfaces are covered.
 Place the dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375. Remove cookies when they are still a touch shiny on top. You really don't want to overcook these babies.
Once cooked, let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the tray, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. A tried and true recipe, I can personally vouch for this one. Caveat: don't be surprised if some of the dough takes a detour into your mouth on the way from bowl to baking sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, I don't think this dough is as tasty as the sugar cookie or chocolate chip cookie dough. But all bets are off once the dough is out of the oven!

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!