Friday, January 13, 2012

Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies

...or as my sister and mom affectionately called them "cow pie cookies". See the recipe looked fantastic. The cookies tasted fantastic. They just didn't look too pretty. It had to be something I was doing wrong, because I went back to the source and her cookies are gorgeous. I will try them again because the potential is out of this world, the reality just needed some improvement.

Salted Caramel-Stuffed Double Chocolate Cookies
from the Baker Chick

1 1/4 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
24-30 Salted Caramels.

 I started by creaming together the butter and sugar. Then I added the eggs and vanilla and mixed again.
 In a separate bowl, I whisked together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
 Then, I mixed together the wet and dry ingredients.
 Finally, I added the chocolate chips and stirred.
The dough was really sticky, so I popped it into the fridge for a few minutes and unwrapped my caramels. Yes, I am very anal about my caramels, but mostly I was lining them up for easier counting.
 Then I scooped a ball of dough. (I'm thinking for starters that my balls were too big and I need to go smaller. Either way, a tablespoon of dough was too much for me and I'd go closer to a teaspoon).
Then I placed a caramel on top, like so, scooped another ball and placed it on top of the caramel. At this point the dough was still incredibly sticky so I'm thinking about actually chilling the dough for a few hours next time.
I rolled the two balls of dough around the caramel and then baked them on sheets for about 10 minutes.







As you can see, with my first sheet, the dough balls were way too close together. Drat.








I spaced them out better next time, but they were way too big, way too flat, and the caramel didn't melt and spread nicely. Sad face.
 So here is my end result. Pretty? No. Tasty? Yes. As a perfectionist, it's a very frustrating result. But I will keep at it!

1 comment:

  1. Better tasty than pretty, in my humble opinion. But neither I nor my stomach would mind if you took another shot at pulling off both the next time you're with me . . .

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!