Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blueberry Muffins with Cinnamon

When my brother first invited me to the tailgate for the 49ers, I asked what I could bring. Naturally, he said baked goods. Since we were planning on leaving at 9 AM, I figured it would be nice to have a combination of desserts and breakfast pastries. A few weeks back, I had this amazing muffin at a cafe and I'm been trying to recreate it ever since. So I took a blueberry muffin recipe I found online and added some cinnamon. The result was phenomenal. Seriously, I love these muffins and will definitely be making them again. The cinnamon makes such a huge difference. The muffin part has great depth and flavor. One small note: the recipe only makes 6-8 large muffins, so I tripled it for the event, but in most cases would double it I think.

Blueberry Muffins with Cinnamon
adapted from here

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

 Start by whisking together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
In a separable bowl, mix together the milk, vegetable oil and egg.
 Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Then fold in the blueberries.
 Using non-stick spray or butter, grease the muffin tins, including the top part because the muffins get big. (Alternatively, you could use paper muffin liners and then just grease the tops of the pan). Fill the cups completely.
Position the oven rack on the bottom third or bottom half of the oven (absolutely no higher than the middle) and bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. You want the muffins to look very golden brown. These muffins on the left weren't done enough and sunk in the center once they were cooled. Because of the cinnamon, you might think they are getting burned, but trust me very golden brown.
 These were the ones on the bottom rack of the oven- they cooked much more evenly.
Here are the final product. I had a little trouble getting them out of the pan because stupidly I used margarine to grease the tin. But they were phenomenal and I can't say enough about them.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a question for you: of all the scones and muffins that you've made, including this one, which do you think is the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...well scones and muffins I'd say these and the blueberry oat scones. Although the super traditional ones with clotted cream were great too. Plus it was hilarious to see Winston come running whenever the clotted cream came out of the fridge. But if I include breads in the mix- the honey white bread and cinnamon pull-apart breads are my favorites of all.

      Delete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!