Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies (Breakfast Cookies)

The other day I saw this recipe in the latest Bon Appetit magazine and I was intrigued. Breakfast cookies you say? I'm all about having dessert for breakfast, I believe it's the breakfast of champions. But a dessert that's intended for breakfast? I had to at least give it a shot. Since there were several things I wanted to make with quinoa anyway, I figured I would make them all in the same week and hit three birds with one stone.

I have to same, I had some pretty low expectations and I was so pleasantly surprised. These are so delicious and really have a great breakfasty flavor. I know that doesn't make much sense. I think it's the almond extract- it makes them seem almost like biscotti. They are also fabulous with tea as an afternoon snack. The recipe does make a fair number, so I froze some and occasionally pop them out of the fridge and into the microwave for a snack. So yummy.

Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies
recipe from Bon Appetit

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey (I used Agave nectar because I was out of honey, worked great)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup slivered unsalted almonds

In a small bowl, I whisked together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
 In a large bowl, I mixed together the butter, agave nectar, and both sugars.
I added the eggs and the extracts and mixed again.
 Next, I added the flour in small batches and mixed in between each addition.
Once all of the flour mixture was incorporated, I added the oats, quinoa, cranberries and almonds and stirred until all mixed together.
Using a spoon, I scooped balls of dough onto a parchment paper-covered baking tray (about 2 tablespoons of dough per ball). I baked each tray for 12-15 minutes until the cookies were just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges. I let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the tray, then transferred them to a rack to completely cool.
I have to say, I'm usually not a fruit and cookie girl. I like my fruit and I like my cookies, but not together. But these babies are seriously making me a convert, I can't stop eating them!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so with all that butter, sugar, honey, flour, etc., calling these cookies "part of a healthy breakfast" would be a big stretch. But they're tasty, people. Not as tasty as any of the real desserts on YSL. But tasty all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: the brilliant and beautiful author of this blog requested a recount. Based on the thirty desserts currently posted on this site, Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies rank 27th in my book. So there you go. It's better than two other "real" desserts.

    But rankings be damned. Just make these, they're good.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!