Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Homemade Peppermint Patties

These suckers were a bit of a pain. It wasn't really their fault though. I had a bad recipe that was very light on details. Thank goodness for bf- he really kept me calm and helped me figure out a way to make these babies work. I'm not going to link up the original recipe because I don't want to bash anyone, so I'm just going to give you the ingredients and the instructions I should have had (and the ones that exist in other recipes).

Peppermint Patties
5 cups powdered sugar
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 cups chocolate chips, I used semi-sweet
2 tablespoons shortening


 Step one: using a large fork, mix together the powdered sugar, condensed milk, and peppermint extract. It's going to turn into a thick blob. Try and knead with the fork. It will be difficult. Persevere until everything is mixed together.
Step two: using a spoon, scoop balls of the mix. Roll the ball around in your hand until nice and soft and round.

Place on a tray with wax paper and flatten slightly. Freeze the patties for about 30 minutes. Flip over and freeze again for another 30 minutes.







 Once the peppermint patties have frozen nicely, melt your chocolate and shortening together very slowly over a double boiler. NOTE: this picture shows what not to do (I didn't have directions to tell me). In the end, we were able to safe the chocolate by re-melting slowly in a double boiler with extra shortening, but it would be nice to avoid that step.
Once the chocolate is nice and runny, place a patty on a fork and dip into the chocolate. If the chocolate doesn't cover the patty, use a spoon to pour chocolate over the peppermint mix. Quickly remove the patty and run a knife under the fork to remove any excess chocolate. Place the patty on the wax paper. Repeat until all patties are done. Place in cool dry area to harden for several hours or freezer for another 30 minutes, then store at room temperature.

This actually isn't my picture. I was so tired and annoyed with these things by the time I was done, I forgot to take a final shot. but mine looked just like this and were so unbelievably delicious. So much better than the store version! A great holiday treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!