Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Hand-Me-Down Chair and New Slipcover

When I was growing up, my mom had this two wing back chairs in the family room in front of the fireplace. Recently, she has moved some furniture around and ordered a new chair for the living room. As a result, one of the chairs needed a new home. I quickly jumped up and down and squealed "me, me, me!" I'm like a child in a candy shop when it comes to free furniture. As you can see, the chair has great bones. But the fabric is a little tired (there are some tiny tears and wearing around the corners) and the whole gold/red color scheme didn't really go with my bedroom. The chair only recently made it's way to my apartment, but I knew it was coming for over a month so I researched a lot of different slipcovers. I searched walmart, kmart, target, overstock.com, every where I could think of. Initially, I was leaning towards a navy or a grey slipcover. But I really couldn't find anything I loved after consulting with my mom, I was worried those colors would make the room too dark. The bedroom already suffers from a deplorable lack of lighting (I have three lamps and they barely make a difference). I also am planning on a headboard at some point, so that will be another pop of color.

This picture shows my final choice. Here is the link http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sure-Fit-Stretch-Stone-Wing-Chair-Slipcover/6378313/product.html. There were a couple of factors that influenced my final decision. I really want my bedroom to be peaceful. So far I've accomplished that goal. I go into the room and it's really a sanctuary and so calming. I didn't want anything too graphic or bold to ruin that feeling. Also, overstock has a great return policy so I knew if I didn't like it, I could return it. As a newcomer to the whole slipcover thing, that was really important to me. I also had about $10 in overstock reward points, so the price would be around $65 (including shipping and tax- which was at least $10 lower, if not more, than any other place).

The slipcover finally arrived the other day and I immediately set to work getting it on the chair. Initially, I totally panicked. The cover seemed WAY too big for the chair and looked like a total mess. But, I followed the instructions and started tucking extra fabric into the creases. Slowly, but surely, it began to look a little better. It isn't perfect, but I think it looks really nice. Especially considering how much I paid for it. A new chair would cost tons more and customized slipcovers are pricey. I can definitely live with a few wrinkles here and there. I still want to add a great pillow to give it a bit of pop. I think that will definitely take your eye away from the imperfections.







An added bonus is the awesome geometric shape on the cover. The website really doesn't do the pattern justice. The fabric is super soft and the pattern adds some great texture to the room.






Disregard to total mess that is my desk. I'm in the middle of the final push of the quarter and cleaning my desk didn't make it to the top of my priority list. I think the seating area really adds a nice touch to the room. Some art, a bed skirt, and a headboard, and I think this room will be about done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!