Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce

I tried this recipe the other night and I loved it. It's super quick, easy and so healthy. I also have been really into mustard lately, although I'm really not sure why because I hated it when I was younger. So this recipe fits the bill.


Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce
from Cooking Light

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/4 cup unfiltered apple cider
2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved


 I started by putting salt and pepper on one side of the chicken breasts. I heated up some olive oil in a pan, then placed the chicken salt side down in the pan. I let the chicken brown for about four minutes, flipped the breasts, added salt and pepper to the other side, then placed the pan in the oven. I forgot to take a picture of this step. Whoops. While the chicken was browning, I trimmed and halved the brussels sprouts.
 Then I melted one tablespoon of butter and olive oil together inn a pan.
I added the sprouts and cooked for a few minutes until they were lightly browned. Then I added some salt and 1/4 cup of chicken broth and covered the pan. I cooked the sprouts for about five minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, the chicken was done. Most breasts would take about 9 minutes. Mine were super thick so it took almost 14. I removed them from the oven, placed them on a plate and covered with tin foil. Then I added 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of cider to the pan. I scraped the bottom to get all the yummy flavor bits off the pan. I let the sauce simmer for about 4 minutes until thickened.
This picture shows the sprouts when fully cooked. I loved this method of cooking the sprouts and I will definitely use it again. They have great flavor and are tender without being gross and mushy.
 Once the sauce was thickened, I added the mustard (and the parsley, had I not forgotten it). I stirred together and let simmer a minute or two until hot.
Finally, I served the chicken and the sprouts with the sauce. The combination was amazing and I loved this recipe. It will sell even the most ardent anti-sprout person. Definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!