Monday, November 14, 2011

New York Corner Cafe Minestrone Soup

I've posted about these soups before, but I love trying new kinds and they are never disappointing. The Nut Factory is this tiny little store that has incredible nuts, candy mixes and soups. They sell Frontier Soups- which are so beyond awesome. The soup mixes usually have beans, pasta, spices and dried veggies and then you just add some meat, onion and broth (and sometimes some extra vegetables). This time, I tried the New York Corner Cafe Minestrone Soup. Click here to buy it online or see how to get it. It was super easy to make (although it takes a while to make- perfect for a Sunday afternoon while you are watching the 49ers move to 8-1, whooooooooo!). Sorry, I digress. It also makes a ton and is very filling. My only complaint is that I think it could use a little more pasta- the ratio wasn't quite right.

I started in the morning by placing the beans in a big bowl and covering them with 8 cups of water. I let them sit for about 4-5 hours.







Then, I put the beans in a big pot and covered them with 8 clean cups of water, brought it to a bowl and simmered for two hours. I then drained the beans.







In the same pot, I cooked the bacon (6 pieces turkey bacon that I had chopped) until it was browned.







Then I added the chopped red onion and cooked for about five minutes, or until the onion was tender.








Once the onion was cooked, I added the spice and vegetable packet and stirred to incorporate. Then I added the beans and the broth. I covered the pot and simmered for about an hour.






After an hour, I added the can of tomatoes and the sliced cabbage and cooked for 20 minutes (simmering and covered). Finally, I took off the top, added the pasta and cooked for another ten minutes.

When it was all done, I served a big bowl with some Parmesan cheese and enjoyed. It was crazy hot, but so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!