Thursday, November 17, 2011

Black Out Drapes

I finally reached my breaking point. I need a dark bedroom. I need my sleep. I like to sleep in and frankly was willing to do anything to make my bedroom dark. That being said, I really wanted a way to keep the curtains and rod I had already purchased from Ikea and Bed Bath and Beyond, respectively. They weren't particularly expensive, but who wants to waste money? I did a whole lot of searching online. I checked overstock.com, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, and finally settled on Walmart. They had these great liners that attached to the back of any curtain. All of the stores I check had these liners, but Walmart had the best prices. After comparing measurements, I had to buy to sets of curtains (two panels each). Each set of two panels fit one small window and I have two windows right next to each other. Walmart has this amazing system where you can have the package delivered to a local Fed Ex store for free. Since the closest Walmart is about 20 minutes away, and the closest Fed Ex store is about 2 minutes away- it's a no-brainer for me! I also didn't want to pay for expedited shipping, but wanted my bedroom dark ASAP.

I started by opening one of the containers and laying out the two inserts. I used two inserts per curtain panel. Then I realized I needed to lay out the curtain first, then lay the darkening panels on top of the curtains.





Next, I unwrapped the hooks.









Then I started inserting the pins into the tabs. Basically, you take the really sharp ends and push it between the layers of fabric with the hook side facing outward. Unfortunately, this tab creates a tiny hole in the fabric. No big deal when your panels are from ikea, but you probably wouldn't want to use this system if you have fancy silk curtains.



Meanwhile, I was trying to avoid attacks that were being staged by kitty. Every time I would move the panel, he would pounce on the tabs. Adorable, yes. Frustrating, yes. This picture is blurry because I managed to snap it mid-pounce and he was full of wiggles.




Then, I hooked the braiding on the under side of the darkening panels.








I slid the curtain rod through the one panel and slid it down to one side. Then I put the second panel on the curtain rod and repeated the steps.







Once I was done, I hung up both curtains. I was amazed how quickly I finished. It really only took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. Well, actually more like 25 minutes. If I hadn't had to ward off attacks and re-straighten the curtains every time Winston pounced, it would have taken 15 minutes.



This morning, I took a picture. It was completely sunny outside and this was my bedroom. As you can see, I need to glue or sew the panels together where they meet in the middle of each window. But, it's still pretty amazing. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. Basically, it's heaven at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!