Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Healthy Banana Bread

I paid a visit to my parent's house this week and my mom had left some overly ripe bananas on the counter. She suggest I try this new recipe for banana bread with flaxseed in it. Since I tend to be very traditional with sweets, I immediate wrinkled my nose at the thought. However, I was having an urge to bake something and this seemed easy enough, so I decided to give it a try. I was thrilled by how unbelievably healthy it is- no butter, no cream, plus part of the flour is replaced by flaxseed- which has major health benefits. A few notes about the recipe in general: I didn't use whole wheat flour because my mom didn't have any, so I just went with all purpose all the way (this lack of whole wheat flour was shocking to me because my mom is crazy health conscious and has every other grain imaginable. Not kidding, her pantry looks like an aisle at Whole Foods.) I also think I overcooked my loaf just slightly. I used an 8.5 x 4.5 pan instead of 9.5 and I think it cooked a little too fast. It's still super tasty, but probably could have used a few less minutes. Finally, next time I don't think I'll use walnuts. The flaxseed already gives the bread some nice nutty flavor and I think the walnuts and the flaxseed combined overpower the banana too much. But I will definitely make the recipe again with those tiny adjustments and I would hands down recommend it for someone who is trying to trim out unnecessary calories.

Banana Bread with Flaxseed
from Cooking Light

3 2/5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
3 3/5 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup canola oil
Cooking spray

I started by getting out all of my materials.









Cooking and baking is always such a pleasure at my parent's house because there is so much space! I have this entire island to spread out on, and if that's not enough....














There is this entire counter as well. It's simply glorious.
















In a large bowl, I whisked together the flour, flaxseed, salt, baking powder and baking soda.








In a small bowl, I mashed up 3 bananas, added the yogurt, sugar, walnuts and oil and mixed together. I then poured the banana mixture into the big bowl.







I stirred until the mixture was just combined- but no longer!








I then poured the batter into a sprayed loaf pan.









I then baked the bread for an hour at 325 degrees. The recipe calls for an hour and 15 minutes, but as you can see, it was already a little too brown.







After letting the bread cool almost completely (banana bread totally falls apart if you try and cut it hot), I sliced myself a piece and enjoyed. Yum yum yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!