Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Valance, they are the eyebrows...the drapes....

If anyone can name which movie that quote is from, you are my favorite person of the day. Anyway, the subject of today's post is....you guessed it- curtains! Well, furniture and curtains.

To begin with, here is my couch! I absolutely love it. It's soft and comfy, but I don't get lost in the cushions. It's also super easy to remove pet hair from the fabric, but if I don't get around to it, that's ok too because Winston and Chloe's gray and black hairs blend in wonderfully. You can also see the beginning phases of my bookshelves. There are two on the right next to the couch....

And two on the left next to the other wall/entry way. As you will see tomorrow when I discuss accessorizing, I moved around quite a few of the shelves.














Then, in the center, I have my grandmother's hope chest and my new tv! The chest location is only temporary, until I find a proper tv stand. I am looking for something that is a little taller and comes out past the bookshelves, just like the chest. I definitely want something with a darker wood tone that looks a little more rustic or used, to provide contrast to the bookshelves. The tv was an amazing deal from Walmart- it's a 40 inch Sceptre and now that it is hooked up it works beautifully.

On the other side of the fireplace, I have a standing lamp from Home Depot, a hand-me-down recliner from my grandmother and an octagonal side table which originally belonged to my parents.






My dad was super helpful with all of the hanging and drilling- that man knows how to work a drill. I purchased both sets of curtains from Ikea- both for about $20 a set (I think). I used the Dignitet hanging system for the living room, it's that near invisible wire contraption. I figured since I had a lot of stuff going on in this room, I didn't want to add a chunky curtain rod.












This is a close up shot of the curtain fabric. I love how it adds a subtle pattern into the mix without being too dramatic. I also think it does a nice job of adding a touch of girliness, without being too intensely floral. I am leaving the dramatic touches for pillows/rug/ottoman? (Clearly still to be decided). Unfortunately, I can't find them online on the Ikea website and can't remember the name. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.











I don't know if this counts as a curtain (even though that word is in there), but we are going to pretend it does. This is my shower curtain. My bathroom definitely needed a little color and it ties into the bedroom really nicely.














Here is my glorious bed. I apologize for the terrible lighting. As I said before, the overhead lighting leaves much to be desired. I ended up going with a Tempurpedic Deluxe Queen size mattress. And it is heaven. I cannot say enough good things about it. You know those tv commercials where the people say "ask me about my bed"- I could be one of those people. The thing I love most is that your body never hurts after being in one position for a long time. That means no tossing and turning and I just don't wake up in the middle of the night because I never get uncomfortable. Anyway....as you can see, I also got a big white duvet (from Overstock.com during a large sale) and some white shams came with it. Eventually, I want to remove those small blue pillows, or preferably use them to fill some new shams. I would really like to have some large white, textured pillows and a great upholstered headboard. But that's for the future, not the present.

This bureau used to be in my bedroom at my parent's house- we painted it a dark gray- which looks fabulous with the blue.




This picture shows the color a little better.
















These are the curtains I got for the bedroom. I got the rod from Bed Bath and Beyond. Ikea didn't have anything long enough and I wanted the curtains hung high and wide, to give the window some more umph. I also can't find these curtains online- which is a good lesson, Ikea always has more in person!












This shot shows the pattern/texture of the curtains. Since the blinds do a pretty good job making the room dark, the curtains didn't need to block a whole lot of light. Although maybe in the future, I will feel differently and might add a second rod, we will see.















Ok, that's it for today! Let me know your thoughts! Tomorrow, I will start sharing my decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!