Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Three Bean Pasta e Fagioli

I finally cooked a real meal in my kitchen! I know, it's about time- I haven't had a real recipe on here in ages! I actually made this dish Monday night while watching football and it was quite nice. I think I'll probably make Sunday night, soup and football a tradition from now on.

I found this recipe while watching Rachel Ray. The thing I like about it is how light it is. It's the perfect soup for summer or early fall when you don't want anything too heavy- especially since it takes advantage of in-season green beans. The lemon zest and lemon juice also really help keep the flavor fresh. It is definitely something I will make again!

Three Bean Pasta e Fagioli
from the Food Network

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 stems fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans
1 (15-ounce) can chick peas
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
1 cup mini pasta with lines or ditalini (I used shells)
1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds on an angle
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Grated Romano cheese, for topping

I started by doing lots of chopping. I cut up the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and then added them to the pot with the olive oil. I cooked all the veggies with two springs of rosemary and a bay leaf for about 7 minutes, or until the veggies were tender.




Then I added both of the cans of beans and the tomato paste and cooked for about another minute, or until the tomato paste was thinned and distributed evenly.






Next, I added the stock and the water and brought it up to a boil. Once the liquid was boiling, I added the pasta and cooked for about five minutes. Then, I reduced the heat to medium-low.






After the pasta had cooked for five minutes, I added the green beans. I let them simmer for about 3 minutes, then turned off the heat. I grated in the lemon zest and squeezed the lemon juice into the pot.





Then I served myself a big bowl of soup, with some Parmesan on top and a yummy wheat roll. It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!