Friday, September 30, 2011

Jewelry for my Dresser

Well technically it's not jewelry, but I swear these knobs are pretty enough to be sold as women's jewelry. This post has been a long time in coming as knobs that were perfect for my dresser really weren't easy to find.

This picture shows how my dresser started off. As you can see in the bottom of the picture, the dresser originally had black iron swirly pulls. They were fine with the dresser when it was just pine, but didn't really stand out enough against the dark gray.













Then, about two weeks ago, I found these knobs at the local Ace Hardware. They were a great price for vintage-looking knobs (only about $3.20 per knob) and the glass work was surprisingly pretty. I was able to find some cheaper knobs at places like Walmart, but the plastic looked so cheap that it really wouldn't have given the splash of class I was going for.

This picture shows the glass part better. I just wasn't sure how I felt about the gold. I didn't think it looked bad per se, but I wasn't in love.















Then the other day I saw these knobs on Pottery Barn's website. I was immediately hooked. So I packed up the Ace knobs and returned them for a full refund and ordered 11 of these knobs (8 for the dresser and 3 for the bedside table drawers). I love the intricate glass details and the chrome finish.


I think the silvery finish is just right and I'm so glad I held out for the perfect knobs. Unfortunately, they were more expensive (which isn't a surprise because I think they look way more expensive). Good news is they weren't the $10 plus that the Restoration Hardware knobs would have cost, bad news is they were just over 7 dollars. However the way I see it, I saved a ton of money by not buying a new dresser and just repainting my old one (actually my mom repainted it for me while I was still in DC) and gorgeous knobs will ensure I will keep this baby for a really long time to come.

When I received the box of knobs, I was on my way out to class, so I haven't put in all of them yet, but I couldn't resist snapping these few pictures to share. This picture shows how the knobs look from a little farther a way. Nice and understated, but up close have tons of detail. Once I get all eleven of them in place, I'll be sure to share pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!