Thursday, September 15, 2011

A final resting place for my tv

I found a tv stand. I must admit, it wasn't exactly what I expected to get. I was thinking I would find something at a flea market, antique store, HomeGoods, etc. But the truth is, I was feeling awfully picky about what I wanted. I wanted something that was high enough (over 24 inches), wide enough, but not too wide (over 40 inches but under 50) and deep enough (deeper than 14 inches). Not to mention, I wanted dark wood, nothing too modern and I wanted it to have open shelving and closed storage. Oh and did I mention I didn't want to spend more than $150 at most on it? I know, I'm high maintenance sometimes.

After a great deal of browsing at local stores and online, I realized that it was going to be tricky to find what I wanted used. Sure, if I was patient enough something would pop up on craiglist probably once in the next 8 months. But how would I get it home? My car isn't that big and not really built for hauling around furniture. I also love to watch tv. Yeah, I'm a bit of a tv junky. I didn't really want to have a gigantic mess of wires in my face every time I went to watch a baseball game or a silly tv show. I am willing to wait for the right coffee table/ottoman- the tv stand had a bit more urgency attached to it.

So, I decided to try and find something new at a store if possible. Turns out, Walmart has a surprisingly good selection of furniture! (Ignore the fall decor, I thought I had gotten a picture of just the tv stand prior to adding my touch of fall, but apparently not- and yes a fall decor post is coming soon). I found the tv stand online and then went to investigate in person.

I love how heavy it is and it appears to be really well made (I assure you, you'd never guess it was from Walmart). It was also the best created put-it-together-yourself piece of furniture I've ever purchased. The only thing I don't love is the handles. It's not that they are ugly, they are just a little too modern for what I'm going for. So, I have the center one installed so I can use the drawer, but I'm still on the search for the perfect pulls.

I am thinking something like this would be nice. I would have to use the glass pulls because of the vertical holes on the doors. Either way, still undecided, so we will see.











Behind the left door I have my modem and my router.
















In the drawer, I have my DVD's and the right cabinet is still empty.








Because I have a proper tv stand now, I was able to move my chest into my bedroom. I love how it really adds a strong note to the base of the bed.







And an obligatory up close view to show the pretty wood detailing.








It's also a great storage option (which is currently a total mess). I have my rags on the little shelf, then table cloths, place mats, napkins and other fabric in the bottom.







Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!