Monday, September 19, 2011

Falling for Fall

While I will always be partial to the Christmas season, I love Fall an awful lot. The leaves, colors, cooler weather (in theory, although it's yet to be a reality here), pumpkins, hot cider, start of school, etc. all get me pretty giddy. Despite my excitement, even I think that early September is too early to decorate for Halloween. However, I think I can get away with putting up fall decorations. Here is my plan: do fall decorations now, add a Halloween layer for October, then remove the Halloween stuff and use the fall decorations for November. This plan has three benefits. 1) My fall decorations work twice for me. 2) Adding layers of decorations gives it a well thought out and rich look. 3) They make me smile whenever I walk into the apartment. And frankly even if the first two reasons didn't apply, the third one is all I need.

You already saw the appearance of my candy corns. There are less of them now than in this picture. I can't help it.















At the end of last week, I took a little trip to the local Michael's and went nuts. I was originally only intending to buy these flowers because I thought they would look awesome in my bookshelves.














Not to be arrogant or anything, but I think I was right. I love the pop of color and how they provide a nice balance to some of the smaller things in the shelves. They are technically a fall flower which is why I get to include them in this post. Oh and they are fake. I know that's a little tacky but I can't keep real plants alive and especially from far away, you really can't tell.











While at Michael's, I also got some fall colored leaves and mini pumpkins to make a little display on the tv stand. Yes, that's a baseball game on the tv. I couldn't turn it off to take a picture because then I'd miss a pitch. I think the trick with leaves is to buy the bunches and then tear the bunches apart and arrange them in a more natural way. I used some of the orange ones, some of the red ones and the ones with berries.

My godmother also came into town last week and bought me a few housewarming presents. This beautiful fall towel was one of them.















During the move, my gorgeous cake stand broke. I hate the post office. To replace the one I had, my godmother bought me this one.







The detailing is actually really stunning and it has more character than the one I lost. It has a bubbled look to it in the center.







While at Michael's, I picked up this candle that smells amazing- I think it's a spice something.















I also got these little guys at Michael's, from far away they look kind of like nuts, but are actually tiny little pumpkin things.







While I was putting it together, I had an audience.









While visiting family this weekend, my mom gave me these beautiful blown glass pumpkins. I love that they feel light- not to clonky on the shelf.







Here is how they look in the grand scheme of things. I haven't decided if I like them all in one place or want to spread them out a bit. Any thoughts?

















Have you started your fall decorating? Are you a must-get-to-fall or not-yet-done-with-summer type?

4 comments:

  1. Wait. You enjoy eating candy corn? I don't think I've ever met anyone besides you who sees those things as something more than an admittedly festive barrier between their hand and the good candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? My entire family is obsessed!!!! Maybe we are just weird though, so my perspective is off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not weird at all Linds. I LOVE candy corn. Also, definitely keep the pumpkins together. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Although, I can totally see how they are a love or hate food, with no one in the middle. I'm glad you like they together!!!! Usually I'm not an orange person at all, but I love these. On another note, I have a design dilemma I'll need your input on tomorrow! I've been moving some things around and haven't decided if I love them or hate them!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!