Monday, August 15, 2011

The Move: Packing Up The Kitchen

As I continue with my packing process, I am trying to find silver lining in the situation. Not because I am an eternal optimist, but it does help with the situation and make it more manageable. Today is not my best day. It's August 15. That means I move in 16 days. I frankly don't know how that happened. I feel like just yesterday it was the beginning of July and I had stopped working. Where did a month and a half go? Either way, today my job is to get my head around the fact that when I leave in 16 days, the place that has been my home for over the last year will no longer be. Sure I'll be visiting, but I have to build a new relaxy place (yes I know that's not a word). A new place where I am at my basic level, where I don't have to put on any face or be anything for the outside world...gosh I'm being awfully morose about this, it's a bit of a struggle for me today. Some days I'm doing really well with the whole thing, other days could be better. Today is an other day. Bear with me, tomorrow will be better.

But in the meantime, here is the kitchen progress. I'm really lucky (read silver lining) that bf had a reasonably well stocked kitchen before we met. Since all of those things are staying with him in DC, I was able to pack up almost all of my kitchen stuff a little early and continue to cook with his. It's not that I wanted to get the heck out of here any sooner. I just wanted to make sure everything was in CA before I arrived, since I am literally hitting the ground running. In fact, I am going straight from the airport to the Giants game (wooooo Giants!) and then leaving for my new apartment at 6:15 the next morning. Yes I'm nuts. And since I'm totally OCD, I have a tentative move in plan complete with when I'm hoping to unpack things. Kitchen stuff is up first since a) it's super important and b) the kitchen isn't getting painted and therefore can be unpacked while the other rooms are drying in between coats of paint.

We decided to start by going through the kitchen and taking out everything that was going with me. We went very methodically, one cabinet at a time, and did our best to organize or straighten up what was left in each cabinet. When we were done, both bf and I were shocked by how much both remained and was currently residing on our "dining room" floor. How is possible we fit all of this stuff in our itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny kitchen? In order to control the chaos that is this move, I have given myself a few rules. 1) If I haven't used it or worn it in a year, to Goodwill it goes. 2) Try not to cry. This pile is everything I have used in the last year- and even then I'm still getting some new things in CA because there are no glasses, cutting boards, etc. in this pile.






Step 2 was to separate things into a breakables pile and a not pile. This pile is the not group.








This group is the breakables (duh).









Winston of course helped with the sorting.








Then, I have my huge gigantic box of pantry items. I am only bringing things that are a) brand new and thus closed and b) bf will never use, c) spices because they are really expensive and worth shipping.






Winston was helping here too...sensing a theme? If I'm doing something, he's into it as well. Except heavy duty scotch shipping tape. Scares the bejesus out of him when it makes that pull apart noise.






My parents have been super helpful in this whole process, schlepping bags every which way for me. I'm going up to upstate New York briefly next week to celebrate my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary (can I just take a moment and say whoa to that). My dad is going to take a duffel home for me because he gets to take two suitcases on the airlines for free. So my non-breakable items went into my huge black duffel (surrounded by blankets, towels, etc. to soften the trip).

I did pretty well packing that sucker too because this is all that was left once I was done. My trusty duffel could have fit more too if it wasn't for that pesky 50 pound weight limit. I hate United Airlines...and Delta. Just saying.





These are my five boxes of breakable items. A tip for packing, if I may: there are tons of items around the house that can be used in lieu of packing materials. Old sheets? Perfect for wrapping pots, pans, vases, etc. Dish towels? Excellent for wrapping glasses, mugs, etc. Place mats? Why yes, that fits just right in between dishes and trays. Once I run out of those things, I started using socks to stuff in mugs or clothes I won't wear in the next few weeks as extra padding. Sure it looks silly when opening the box back up, but it takes care of two birds with one packing stone. And when you have just packed up your 19th box (sorry again mom and dad), that is always a good thing.

So that's the end of my kitchen packing adventure. Up next, the last of my closet and the move itself. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to take this time to object to the description, "itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny kitchen" haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ok slightly-larger-than-yours-but-still-pretty-small-for-all-that-stuff!

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!