Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Last Meals

....or last meals before I leave is more like it. While I will, of course, be continuing to try new recipes before I leave, I asked bf to make a list of "repeats" he wanted before I moved. I don't know if I'd call this the list of all time favorites, but it's definitely the list of favorites he has trouble making for himself. So, these are the repeats we've been having for the last couple of days and will continue to have this week, mixed in with some other new goodies.

Fried Rice. Yes I made this again. Two days after I originally made it. Embarrassing? Yes. Worth it? Yes. So delicious. This recipe is a real keeping. This time I doubled it, and while the sheer size of the recipe is a little daunting, it's definitely worth it. Because this meal is not one where you can easily pass up seconds. So having a lot of food is necessary if you want leftovers for lunch the next day.


Cheesy, Salty, Snappy Risotto. Please pardon the terrible picture quality. This was my original picture when I first made the recipe in December of 2010. I made it again two nights ago, but forgot to take a better, more in focus picture. This recipe is my favorite risotto dish. Bf's is probably the butternut squash and walnut one, but alas, butternut squash really isn't in season so he settled for this one. I love ham and cheese, so this dish is fail proof. Plus, the peas add a really nice crunch and bit of freshness to the dish. It's an amazing combination and one that I will return to again and again- especially during the holidays when leftover ham is every where. But for non-holiday nights, grocery stores sell pre-cooked, packaged ham steaks that work just fine too.

Chickpea Croquettes. My brother lovingly told me that these look like baby poop. Bf was pretty skeptical when I first described them as well. But you know, that sort of doubt is all the more enjoyable when you hear a chorus of "mmmm's" when the food is finally served. For all of you doubters out there, these bad boys are delicious. They are crunchy on the outside and squishy in the middle, have great flavor and are really pretty healthy. For those with dietary restrictions, they are also vegan, unless you serve them with a giant dollop of sour cream like I do. They are also pretty quick to make and don't require an oven (double bonus points during the summer). Can't say enough good things about them.

So, those were the last three repeats I made. Still on the list: Mahogany Beef Stew and Pork Chops with Maple Balsamic Gazed, Baked Apples and Goat Cheese and Rosemary Polenta. If you were to have a list of last meals, what would be on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!