Friday, August 5, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread

I'm a huge fan of this blog called Young House Love. Sherry, one half of the creative team, told their readers about her obsession with Pinterest. She has created a beast, because now I'm beyond addicted. I have decided for while, that I will try and keep my name quiet and private. It's not that I don't want to share every single detail, I am just a little paranoid about the possible perils of the internet (talk about an alliteration!). In the vein, I am not going to link up my page, but I will tell you all about my boards! I have a culinary board (for recipe ideas), a holiday board (for decoration thoughts), a books to read board (cause I'm a nerd after all), a home decorating board (for inspiration), a table setting board (it's an addiction I tell you!), a places I want to go board (for vacation thoughts), and a my-style board (cause my wardrobe really needs more- note the dripping sarcasm).

Anyway, that's a really drawn out way of saying, I found this recipe on pinterest. It's phenomenal. In fact, I'm as I'm writing this, ate way too much and now feel sick. But seriously, you must try this recipe.

Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread
recipe from here

For the Dough:
2 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the Filling:
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted until browned

First, I started by doing some prep. In one bowl, I whisked together two eggs.








Then in my biggest bowl, I whisked together the yeast, salt, sugar, and flour.








Then, I melted together the butter and milk. When the butter was totally melted, I turned off the heat.








I then added the water and the vanilla and watched the temperature on my little thermometer until it was just under 120 degrees.







Next, I added the butter/milk combination and mixed with a spatula until absorbed.








I then added the eggs and mixed again.









Next, I poured in the last 3/4 cup of flour and mixed until it was incorporated. The dough is still very sticky, but that's ok.







After the dough was made, I dropped it into a greased bowl, covered it with cling wrap and then with a kitchen towel. I then put the bowl on top of the stove. The dough is supposed to rise in a warm place and the heat from the oven makes a nice rising place.




I let the dough rise for about an hour and a half. It's supposed to rise for an hour, but I was busy making and eating dinner. So I let it hang out for a bit longer.







While the dough was rising, I whisked together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.








I also browned the butter in a small sauce pan.









Once the dough was ready, I kneaded a few more tablespoons of flour into it and then rolled it out on my floured counter top. Clearly, I didn't do a great job. I think I needed to knead the bread more so that it would roll out better, next time I will make it thinner and more rectangular.



I then brushed the dough with the butter and the sprinkled the sugar mixture over the top. I know it looks like a ton of sugar, and frankly it is, but you lose a lot of it, well I did anyway.






Next, you slice it into six equal strips and then pile the strips on top of each other. You can see why my lack of rolling expertise caused a problem. The strips were unequal and the sugar falls out everywhere. Next time, and there will be a next time, I'm going to probably cut the strips, then cover the strips with butter and sugar one at a time as I stack them. Less mess=happy chef.

Then, I cut the stack into four stacks. The recipe called for six stacks, but that really wasn't going to work with my less-rolled out dough. I attempted to squash the dough squares into the pan. You can see how thinner dough squares would really help.




I then covered the pan and let the dough rise for about 40 minutes. Although the bread looked super wonky when it was done rising, it actually turned out great in the oven. Turns out yeast is my friend.






I baked the bread at 350 for 35 minutes until nice and brown on top.








After I let the bread rest for about 20 minutes, I used a knife to cut around the outside of the pan and place the loaf on the plate. Then we dug in while it was nice and hot!






This stuff smelled amazing and the entire house was filled with cinnamony-sugar goodness. I cannot speak highly enough of this dessert, breakfast, whatever. You must try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!