Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


I have always been a fast reader. Usually it's a skill I'm pretty darn proud of and it certainly comes in handy when you know, I'm persuing a profession based on reading. But there are times I'd really prefer to read just a little slower. Just a touch really.

The other day, when I was flying back from California was one of those days. I started this book at the tail end of my first flight and continued reading once I was on board the second flight. I finished with an hour and a half left. Drat and a few other sentiments like it.

Perhaps I wouldn't have finished so quickly if it wasn't so darn good! But alas, these are good problems to have. For anyone who has ever enjoyed the company of a dog, you must read this book. Simply must.

At first I was a little put off by the dog's tone, maybe it was just a little different than I pictured, but I quickly settled into the story and absolutely adored it. It is sweet and rich and full of amazing nuances about human behavior. The observations from a dog's perspective are simply lovely. What I liked best was the role the dog played in helping a family grieve, grow and survive. There were times I was certain that the author knew my dog Chloe. His descriptions of Enzo (the dog) and his thoughts, actions and movements were uncannily similar to Chloe's, which I have come to know and love so well.

I know that only a person who truly loves dogs as I do could have written this book and for that I am incredibly grateful to the author. And to my mom for insisting I read it. Mom- you were right- I know you will like reading that :). I can't say enough good things about this story and I would highly recommend it to all. Only one word of warning: it goes fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!