Saturday, July 23, 2011

Spring Onion and Asparagus Risotto

I saw this recipe the other day while perusing gojee.com. I love risotto. I love how creamy it tastes (without any cream). I love how when filled with vegetables, it is a hearty and nutritious meal. And frankly, I love that I'm good at making it. Plus bf loves it, so we eat it a lot. After I made this particular dish, it was amazingly delicious by the way, I realized it was very similar to many of the other risottos I've made this spring. I guess when things are good, you shouldn't mess with them! Anyway, bf liked this recipe better than the Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto. I loved both.

Spring Onion and Asparagus Risotto
adapted from here

2 cups Arborio rice
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, sliced one inch thick at an angle
3 medium spring onions (also known as scallions or green onions), cleaned and sliced
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
zest of one lemon
salt + black pepper to taste

I started by chopping the green onions and trimming and chopping the asparagus. I heated up one tablespoon of butter in my super huge skillet and when it was hot, I added the onions. I cooked the onions, stirring frequently, until they were tender, about 4 minutes or so.



Meanwhile, I heated up the other tablespoon of butter in my medium skillet. When hot, I added the asparagus and cooked for about five minutes, or until the asparagus was tender. I then removed the skillet from the heat and set aside.





When the green onions were ready, I add two cups of arborio rice and cooked for about a minute. Then I added the white wine and cooked for a few minutes or until almost all of the liquid was absorbed. Note: in these early stages and at the very end, you should be stirring the risotto pretty much constantly to prevent burning. In the middle stages, when you are adding lots of broth, stir pretty frequently, but you don't need to do it constantly.

Once the wine was almost completely absorbed, I added about 1/2-3/4 of broth (which I had been warming in a pot on the side). This shows how the rice looks when I first started adding broth. As a comparison, the next picture will show how big the rice gets once all the broth is absorbed.



Keep adding 1/2 cups of broth, stirring until they are absorbed, and then adding more broth until the rice is nice and creamy and it's tender to the bite. When the last half cup is being absorbed, add the asparagus, so it can reheat.





Once all the broth is absorbed, add the cheese, the lemon juice, the parsley and salt and pepper. Stir until incorporated.







Serve big bowlfuls with the lemon zest on top for decoration! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!