Saturday, July 16, 2011

Not-So-Red, Red Velvet Cupcakes

So the moral of this story is that 2 tablespoons is a LOT of food coloring. I only had about a teaspoon of red food coloring and I thought it would be plenty to turn the batter red. False. The cupcakes are amazing, don't get me wrong, they just look like chocolate, not red velvet.

That being said, the frosting is incredible and the texture of the cupcakes is divine. I will definitely be keeping this recipe around and making these again.

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
makes 30 cupcakes
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cooa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla exract

Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
16 ounces powdered sugar

I started by whisking together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. I then set this bowl aside.







Next, I mixed together the butter and the sugar. Then, I added one egg at a time and mixed after each addition.







I then added the sour cream and milk and mixed again until smooth.








Next, I added the food coloring and the vanilla extract. This step was when I began to suspect that red food coloring needed to be added in large doses.







I then added the flour mixture in small batches and mixed slowly until the mixture was just barely combined.







Once the batter was ready, I filled the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. The batter is pretty thick so cupcakes don't look great at this point, but they rise beautifully.







I cooked the cupcakes for about 18 minutes at 350 degrees, or until you can insert a toothpick and remove it cleanly. Once the cupcakes were finished, I  removed them from the pan and let them cool completely.





When the cupcakes were cool, I mixed together the cream cheese, sour cream, butter and vanilla.








I then added sugar and mixed slowly until smooth.









Finally, I frosted the cupcakes and enjoyed. They are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!