Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Move: It Begins

I sort of picture that title being read out loud, followed by a big "duh duh duh". Really loud, like they do in the movies when something big or scary is about to happen? Please tell me you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, I have started. Actually, that's sort of a lie. Like almost all things I do, I've been planning for a while now how best to get my ungodly about of clothes, books and other things across country. I'm very lucky that I am able to leave most of the furniture here with bf and I'm going to get some hand-me-downs and new things when I get to California. So, compared to other moves, it's not really that bad. But, seriously, my clothes. I need to stop for a while. And in an effort to make things more manageable, I've taken huge amounts of stuff to Goodwill in the last few months, although trying to convince my bf that I've made a dent is a failing effort so far. Then, in April, when my parents visited, I sent two huge duffel bags of winter clothes, boots, coats, etc. home with them. Lucky for me they get to bring two suitcases for free whenever they fly. I also sent 3 astronomically heavy boxes of books home. Sorry Dad for having to carry those.

That brings me to step 2, 3 and 4. Step 2: Pack two humungo bags to check when I go to California next week for my little sister's big 2-1. Pack one small carry on bag with clothes I actually plan to wear. Check.

Step 3: Back boxes of stuff I don't need right now to ship out to California. What's in all of these boxes you ask? Some glassware, housewares, leftover books, desk stuff, empty jewelry box. See the picture on the left? I wish those were the only boxes. Luckily there were only a few more. Check.













Now, being that he is a cat, and cats love boxes, and he is king of the world, of course, Winston helps himself to the boxes. He is on them, in them, and when they are still flat leaning against the wall, he is behind them. The ones under the bed have even formed a fort in which he is building a little nest with stolen goods. At least one of us is entertained.












Step 4: The beast of a chair. This is the only piece of furniture I'm taking to CA. It's actually not huge and isn't super heavy as furniture goes, only about 35 pounds, but it has taken on so much more weight in my mind. Apparently most people don't try and ship a single piece of furniture across the country? There isn't really an easy way to do it, let me tell you. I think, after tons of deliberation, research and pulling at my hair, I've decided to Fed-Ex it. I'll let you know once I figure out how to actually get it to Fed-Ex as it doesn't fit in my car.

So, there is my moving update. Nothing too exciting I must admit, but I thought I would keep you all updated on the progress and let you know how it was going. I can't wait to show you all my new place, but that will have to wait until September...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!