Monday, July 11, 2011

Fresh Tomato Sauce

Last week when I went grocery shopping, I got a bunch of tomatoes for a chicken dish. When it came time to make the dish, I plain and simple didn't feel like making it, so instead I tried fresh tomato sauce. I didn't have a recipe and decided to just sort of wing it. Very unlike me, I know. So, as best as I can tell, these were the ingredients and the amount I used of the ingredients.

Fresh Tomato Sauce

  • 2 pints grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon, or more, chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • pasta to go with the sauce
  • Parmesan cheese for sprinkling

I started by chopping up the onion and garlic and heating up the olive oil. Then I added the onion and cooked it for a few minutes and then added the garlic and cooked for about another minute.






While the onion was cooking, I sliced the tomatoes and then added them to the pan. I also added the wine. Then I covered the pan and simmered for about 10 minutes.






After ten minutes, the tomatoes looked like the ones in the pictures.








Using my wooden spoon, I crushed up the tomatoes. I was actually really happy with the texture. There were still some skins visible, but most of the tomatoes broke down really nicely.






Next, I added the basil and let the sauce simmer without the lid for about ten minutes while the pasta cooked.







Finally, I served a heaping pile of sauce over the pasta. It was delicious, super easy and fast! No need for jarred sauce here!!!

2 comments:

  1. 'Winging it' is a both a lifestyle and a valuable life skill. I approve. I like to use red wine, canned San Marzano tomatoes, and cook the onions in a little bacon fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I was definitely contemplating using red wine instead, as that's what I use in my spaghetti sauce, but I had an open bottle of white next to me, so I just went with it. Next time, I will definitely try the red.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!