Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July Visit to Boston

Happy 4th of July to everyone! I hope you are having a safe, fun and delicious holiday! Bf, Winston and I spent the weekend in Boston with various family members and had a marvelous time. We had some business to attend to (car swapping), but most of the weekend was all about family, friend and of course....food! I know I took a bit of a break from blogging while I was away, but we got back this afternoon, so I wanted to tell you all about my nummies and acquisitions while I was away.

 First off, Friday night we did a low key bbq with steak, sausage, pasta salad, corn and some fruit. It was the perfect meal after 12 hours in the car. No, that wasn't a typo. It was a ridiculously long ride. After such a ride, I simply forgot to take pictures. My bf's mom surprised me with a really nice gift, on the left. I am particularly looking forward to trying the custards and souffles.











Next up, Saturday evening. I visited this amazing shop in the North End. The minute I walked into the store, I was hit by the most amazing aroma of cheese, bread and cooking oils. I literally wanted to eat the entire store. It's a good thing I don't live in the North End because I would be in this store constantly. I did get some amazing goodies though.





I bought this incredible olive oil. It has the most amazing flavor and is literally tasty enough to use as sauce on it's own. But really, the balsamic vinegar was my crown jewel. The staff is incredibly friendly and allowed me to taste this stuff before I got a bottle. I licked the spoon clean. Not kidding. Actually Jake's dad bought me the bottle- so many presents, what is a girl to do!












I also got one of these little guys for the balsamic vinegar. I'm not sure that it's technically the best way to preserve the cooking liquids, but I think it's so cute and I've frankly wanted one forever. Something about it makes me feel like a real cook.




We also got two of these gnocchi packages for a few dinners in the upcoming weeks. I am dying to try making my own gnocchi once I have a little more kitchen space, but right now there is no where near enough counter space to tackle that project.













Saturday night, we went to Lucia's in the North End. I had a gnocchi dish with fresh tomato sauce, basil and Parmesan cheese and the table shared a few appetizers. My dish was excellent, as was the Caprese salad. I didn't love the Bruschetta with just garlic, Parmesan and olive oil. It was good, but it was basically just an average garlic bread. The cannoli was also good, but it was from Mike's, the most famous pastry shop in the North End. The service really wasn't great, it sort of felt like we were being pushed out of the restaurant the entire time. All in all, I would go back, but I'm sure there are loads of other amazing finds in the North End.

Finally, I got to see my sister for the first time in 7 months! She brought me this amazing bowl and tongs from her travels. I can't wait to make something colorful to show off the gorgeous designs and carvings on this bowl.





All in all, I had a wonderful weekend. What did you all do for the holidays? Did you have a bbq? See fireworks? I want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!