Sunday, July 17, 2011

Curried Chicken Sauté

Another blog lesson: I should never say I'm going to cook something tomorrow because the minute I put that promise out into the universe, the universe makes it its mission to thwart me either through moldy chicken or massive pho hankerings. What can I say, I try and keep it spontaneous :). So here is the dish I promised a few days back...

I have a new favorite app. It's the Cooking Light app. It has the ingredients, instructions and pictures- plus dishes I haven't seen before and suggestions for pairings. It also makes grocery shopping on the fly (which I rarely do) a breeze because your ingredient list is in the palm of your hand (literally). I found this recipe via my new app and tried it out last night and it was delicious! Bf was especially happy with it as he is a curry monster. Depending on your taste, you can always add more curry to make it stronger, or a dash of cayenne or chili powder to make it spicy. I, of course, did no such thing.


Curried Chicken Sauté 
from Cooking Light App

1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
mixed bell peppers, thinly sliced- I used almost 3 full peppers
1 cup light coconut milk
1 lime
1 cup of quinoa (and 3 cups of water)

note: I used about 1.5 pounds of chicken, so I used about 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1.5 cups coconut milk, etc.


I started by slicing the chicken breasts into strips. The recipe called for the breasts to cook whole, but frankly, I find that the outsides get burnt and dry and the insides don't cook well and the whole process takes a while. So I decided to go with strips since the chicken gets cut up later anyway. I then put the strips into a big baggy and added the 1.5 teaspoons of curry powder, and 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Then, I shook the bag until all of the pieces were covered and let the chicken cook for a few minutes while I was cutting up the peppers. At this point I also started cooking some quinoa.

Once the peppers were thinly sliced, I added some cooking spray to the pan and turned the heat on and added the chicken to the hot pan. I cooked the chicken for a few minutes on each side, flipping the pieces every so often. When the chicken was nicely browned and cooked through, I remove it to a plate.


Then, I added the bell peppers and the remaining curry powder to the hot pan and cooked for about a minute.







Next, I added the coconut milk and scraped the bottom of the pan to make sure all of the flavor was absorbed in the sauce. I simmered the peppers for about 4 minutes, or until the sauce thickened slightly.






After about 4-5 minutes, I added the chicken and simmered for about another minute until all of the chicken was warmed through.







Finally, I spooned some quinoa into a bowl, added the chicken and bell pepper mix, and poured several spoonfuls of sauce of the whole thing. This dish would also be great with tofu if you are a vegetarian and is really easy to make, definitely a keeper!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!