Thursday, June 16, 2011

Quiche with Goat Cheese and Asparagus

I know Quiche is typically a brunch food, but I see no reason not to occasionally have breakfast for dinner. Or better yet, make Quiche into a great dinner meal. I had this meal with a great family friend, whose Mom was the original owner of this recipe. It is an amazing light meal and goes great with a side salad, veggies, etc. Another major bonus: the recipe is super flexible. I know that's a strange word to use when describing food, but it's true. You can add other veggies, in addition to the asparagus. You can also switch up the cheeses used in the Quiche. I personally didn't have swiss or Gruyère, so I used goat cheese. It was amazing.

Asparagus Quiche
based on a recipe from my family friend Liz
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell OR a Pillsbury™ pre-made rolled pie shell is fine Dijon mustard
8-10 stalks of asparagus
1¼ cup fat-free Half-and-Half (cream will also work)
3 eggs
Salt and pepper (as if you were making 3 scrambled eggs – to your taste)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup grated Gruyère cheese (or pre-shredded Swiss in the package) or goat cheese, which is what I used

I started by baking my pie shell. These pie shells are amazing and taste incredible, but they are so damn annoying. They keep collapsing on the sides, as you can see on the left. Luckily it didn't ruin the dish, it just made it less pretty. Once the shell had baked for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees, I brushed the bottom with Dijon mustard and baked for two more minutes. Then I reduced the heat to 350 degrees.

While the shell was baking, I microwaved the asparagus for a few minutes with a few tablespoons of water to make them soft. Then I sliced them into inch sized pieces. I also whisked together the half-and half, eggs, salt, and pepper.




Next, I laid out the pieces of asparagus on the bottom of the pie shell. Then I poured the egg and cream mix over the asparagus and sprinkled both types of cheese over the top. I had to crumble the goat cheese into large pieces, but it melted nicely into the egg.




I baked the entire thing for about 40 minutes. Next time I would have baked for a few more minutes. To determine if the pie is done, stick a knife into the center and pull out. If the knife comes out cleanly, then the pie is done.





As you can see, we attacked the Quiche with a vengeance. The leftovers were also delicious after about 45 seconds in the microwave.







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!