Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Proper English Scones and Clotted Cream

I got this recipe out of the New York Times dining section recently and it immediately appealed to my old-fashioned nature. I immediately wanted to try these while sipping tea and reading Jane Austen...but I imagine anyone would enjoy them with or without the British literature. Here is the recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/dining/13minirex.html?_r=1&emc=eta1



I started by mixing all of the dry ingredients in a bowl: cake flour, salt, baking powder and a little sugar.











Since I only have a baby food processor, I had to be a little creative with my next step. I put have the dry ingredients in the food processor with half of the cut up butter. Then I chopped that up until it resembled course cornmeal. Next, I repeated with the other half of the dry ingredients and the butter.

















Next, I combined both halves of the mix in a big bowl, added the egg, and slowly added the cream. I mixed together, adding a little more cream until I had the right consistency. The dough should stick a little to your hands but not be gooey.







Then I floured the biggest wood cutting board we have in order to pat out the dough.As you can see, I kept a little extra pile of flour on the side which came in very handy for covering my hands and adding extra to the board. Biscuit dough like this kind can't be rolled out with a rolling pin, so you have to use your hands to gently push out the dough. As you cut out the dough with a round cut out, you also may need to add a little extra flour here and there so it doesn't stick to the food.


One of the things I really need to add to my kitchen wish list is a round cookie cutter. I don't have one, so I need to be creative. I ended up using a round glass that was approximately 2 inches across. I cut out about four scones in the dough, then re-balled the dough, flattened it and cut a few more out. I repeated this process until the dough was gone.




Then I brushed a little extra cream on top of each scone and sprinkled a little sugar on top too. I put the scones in the oven and cooked for 8 1/2 minutes at 450 I think.









Meanwhile, I started the clotted cream. Real clotted cream is made with unpasteurized milk, but that's near impossible to find in the US, so I made a modern version. I put heavy cream, marscapone cheese, a little vanilla and some sugar in a big bowl.











Then I whipped the stuff together for like 5 minutes on high until the cream was stiff.
















When the scones came out of the oven they looked like the picture on the left.














We had them with a dollop of cream and a smear of jam and they incredible. They could also be eaten plain or with butter like biscuits.

A word of warning, however, if you have cats. The old wives tale that cats like cream is not false. If I so much as bring out the bowl of clotted cream, Winston will follow me around, then climb on whatever furniture he needs to in order to get close to the cream. Out of curiosity, I let him try it, and I swear, he likes it better than meat. So just be careful not to turn your back on a cat and cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!