Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pan Fried BBQ Chicken

This recipe is actually my bf's brainchild. He originally created the chicken when I was out of town and he was feeling creative. The other night we were planning to make Penn Yan Chicken (will post recipe later), but we were out of eggs and I frankly wasn't really in the mood, so we whipped out this stuff instead.


First, I started the artichokes. Usually, I just put a few inches of water in the bottom of the pot, bring to a boil, and cook/steam the artichokes for about 30-40 minutes. My tried and true method for telling if they are done is super complicated :). First, grab a pair of tongs or some sort of pinching device. Then grab a leaf towards the inside of the artichoke and pull. If the leaf slips out really easily, it's done. If not, put the top back on and continue cooking. See? Super hard. Another artichoke tip: when picking out artichokes, the best way to tell if they are good is to look at how many leaves there are and how tightly bound they are. You want the leaves to really hug the center.


To flavor the chicken, we put the tenders (about 2 breasts worth) into a plastic baggy. We then put a few spoonfuls of flour into the bag and several pinches of poultry rub. Our store bought rub would be pretty easy to recreate. It had rosemary, salt, garlic powder or salt, poultry seasoning, pepper and I think some cumin. (These were the only ingredients I was able to deduce from smelling the container, it didn't list the ingredients). We then shook the bag until all of the chicken pieces were covered and let it sit for about a half an hour.


To cook the chicken, we heated up a little vegetable oil and added the chicken. We cooked both sides for a few minutes until the pieces looked just about done.
When the chicken was pretty much cooked through, we added a little bbq sauce on both sides and let each side cook for a minute or two to seal in the sauce. The sauce developed a nice crunchy outside, almost like a bbq skin.
The final product! It was a super easy, healthy and delicious dinner.
Oh and I also made little red potatoes, but they took too long because I seriously underestimated the time it would take to bring the water to a boil. As a result, they were our second course.

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you want to see more recipes like this one, head over to my new blog at withamour.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!