Monday, June 27, 2011

Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings

This recipe was one that I posted several months ago on my old blog, but the formatting was all wrong and the pictures were wonky, so I decided to post it again the next time I made it (last night). It is without a doubt my bf's favorite dish that I make, bar none. Chicken and dumplings can be pretty fatty, but this recipe uses whole wheat flour, non-fat buttermilk and low sodium chicken broth, so it's a nice healthier alternative. It's the perfect comfort food and really isn't too hard to make. Only negative: we burn our tongs every freaking time because it's so hot and we can't wait to start!

Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
from Delish.com

Chicken
  • 1 3/4 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil, divided
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 stalk(s) celery, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon(s) poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
  • 2 can(s) (14-ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup(s) water
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) frozen peas, thawed
Dumplings
  • 1 cup(s) whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon(s) poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 3/4 cup(s) nonfat buttermilk
To start, I (well actually my bf) cuts up the chicken into bite sized pieces. We then put the chicken in a bowl with the flour and tossed the chicken until all of the pieces were covered with flour.







While bf was cutting the chicken, I chopped up the onion, the carrots and celery sticks. Usually, I use the Cuisinart, but last night I was in the mood for chopping so I did it by hand.







Next, I heated up some vegetable oil and added the chicken (reserving the extra flour for later). I cook the chicken, stirring every few minutes, until all sides are browned. Then I put the chicken on a plate.







In the same pot, I added two more tablespoons of vegetable oil and then tossed in the veggies, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. I cooked the veggies for about five minutes, maybe a few more depending on the size of your pot, until the vegetables are nice and tender.





Then, I added the reserved flour and stirred until it was incorporated into the vegetables. I then added the broth, water and the peas and brought the whole thing to a boil (I forgot to photograph this step, oops!).






While the liquid was coming up to a boil, I made the dumplings. In a separate bowl, combine the white flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and poultry seasoning (you can just whisk it together). Then add the buttermilk and mix until the dry ingredients absorb the buttermilk. You want the dough to be sticky and wet. Turn down the heat to low so the liquid is gently simmering, then, using a tablespoon measuring spoon, drop balls of the dough into the broth. I have found that it's easiest to just use your fingers to plop the balls of dough into the soup. It's certainly not glamorous, but sometimes you just have to get your fingers dirty. As you can see, you want the dumplings to be spread out on top of the stew. Don't push them under the liquid, once you are done, just put the top on the pot and simmer undisturbed for about 15 minutes.

After you let the dumplings cook, they will be nice and brown and fluffy. Spoon 3 or so dumplings and lots of stew into a bowl and enjoy, just be careful to let it cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!