Sunday, June 12, 2011

Herbed Chicken with Sweet and Sour Fennel

This recipe was another great find from my recent Cooking Light Magazine. It is definitely a new favorite, for many reasons. First, it's super healthy. You'll see below. No butter, no cream, polenta are the only carbs, etc. Second, it's unbelievably tasty. I am always skeptical of fennel. I love licorice. But the smell of licorice makes me nervous. I can't really imagine what it would go well with in a savory meal. No worries here though, the fennel is delicious and sweet. And third and most important in my book on a busy weekday night, it took twenty minutes from the time I started until the time we sat down to eat......that's right 20 minutes. Can't beat that with....a stick or whatever they beat it with.

Chicken and Fennel
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
  • 1  fennel bulb
  • 2  teaspoons  extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4  (4-ounce) chicken cutlets
  • kosher salt
  • dried rosemary, crushed
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4  cup  dry white wine
  • 3/4  cup  fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4  cup  raisins
  • 2  teaspoons  red wine vinegar
  • 1  tablespoon  pine nuts, toasted
Goat Cheese Polenta
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
  • 2  cups  low-fat or non-fat milk (if you use non-fat add a tiny dab of butter)
  • 1  cup  water
  • 3/4  cup  instant dry polenta
  • 1/4  cup  goat cheese
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
I didn't have chicken cutlets so bf was nice enough to slice up two big breasts for me. Then I sprinkled salt, pepper and rosemary on both sides. At this point, I also started simmering the milk, water, salt and butter. This picture isn't loading right for some reason, so I apologize!

While I was sprinkling the stuff on the chicken, I heated up some olive oil and then cooked the strips for about 3 minutes per side. When the chicken was cooked through, I removed the strips onto a plate and left the juices in the skillet.



Next, I added the fennel I had previously sliced and sautéed for a minute or two. Then I added the wine, vinegar, broth and raisins and cooked the whole thing for about 5 minutes until the fennel was soft. (I forgot to take a picture of the end product).



Meanwhile, I added the polenta to the simmering milk and whisked everything together. I stirred every few minutes until the polenta was thick. I then turned off the heat and bf helped by stirring in the goat cheese until it was melted and blended. We put the top on the pot to keep it warm until the chicken was done.


Once the fennel was soft, I added the chicken, the toasted pine nuts and the sprigs of green from the top of then fennel. I let everything warm through and then it was all done.





This picture is how the meal looked when it was plated. So yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!