Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hearty Potato Soup

I visited my family and my future grad school this weekend. I spent a total of 12 hours on the airplane and 4.5 hours in the airport. I was visiting my mom who is sick and leaving behind a boss who is sick. Me getting sick was inevitable. Even if I expected it, I don't like it. Not one bit. So I made soup.

I have a new friend who just so happens to also have a food blog. Her's in infinitely more professional, but she's had hers for longer, so I can just hope to be as success as her one day. In my never-ending search for recipes I found this soup and it seemed perfect for a sick night. It was delicious and really pretty easy to make. It also makes a ton and is made of mostly common ingredients in your pantry, so it's definitely something I'd recommend!

Hearty Potato Soup
from Delightfulcountrycookin.com

6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, diced
5 celery stalks, diced
2 quarts water (I just made sure the pot was about half full before adding the veggies)
1/2 onion, or full onion if small
6 T. margarine
6 T. flour (any kind will do, I used whole wheat)
2 tsp. or more of salt
1 tsp. pepper
1.5 cups milk


First, I started to heat up the pot of water. While it was coming to a boil, I peeled the potatoes then diced them, along with the carrots and the celery.





Once the water boiled, I dumped all of the veggies into the pot and cooked for twenty minutes. Depending on the size of the potato chunks, next time I would have cooked them about five minutes longer.




While the veggies were cooking, I chopped up the onion. Then I cooked the onion in the margarine until the onion was softened. I know it looks like a lot of margarine, but it does cook down and it's what makes the paste for the soup. Also, keep in mind it's way better than butter.


Once the onions were softened, I added the flour, salt and pepper and stirred it all together.







Then, I slowly added the milk, a little pour at a time, stirring constantly to make sure none of it burned. The process takes a little while, but the mix will get nice and creamy. This picture is when I had poured in about 1/2 a cup of milk.



This is what my paste looked like when all the mix had been added. Much better, right?







When the paste, for lack of a better word, was about half done, so too were the veggies. I drained them into the strainer with a large bowl below to catch the cooking water.





Then I added the veggies back to the large pot, added the paste and stirred everything together.







With the stove still on low heat, I slowly added the cooking water about a 1/4 cup at a time. I stirred everything together, then would add another 1/4 cup of liquid. This picture was when I was about 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup in.




After about 1.5-1.75 cups of liquid, the soup was at the consistency I wanted. It's totally up to you and also depends on how many potatoes you put into the mix. I added some extra salt to my bowl when I was done, but that is also a personal choice. It was exactly what the doctor ordered for this sick girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!