Thursday, June 16, 2011

French Yogurt Cake with Lemon

This recipe is out of the amazing book I talked about last weekend. I would type the recipe, but since it is the property of the author, I don't feel quite right sharing it en masse. The cake is super easy and the frosting is even easier. If you want to make the cake, email me at misschefy@gmail.com and I'll send it to you or buy the book. Trust me, you won't regret it!

I love this cake. It is nice and light, not too rich. However, a word of warning. This dessert is not for the person who is ambivalent about lemon. Unlike my lemonade layer cake, which I don't think I've posted (a good reminder to myself, I need to make it again!), this lemon cake tastes strongly like lemon. I think I may have made it a little worse because I ran out of fresh lemon juice and needed to use the kind out of the bottle, which tends to be more bitter. Next time I might add a little cream cheese or butter to cut the flavor a little, as my bf wasn't a huge fan of the frosting. But anyway, if you like lemon- you'll like this cake.


I started by greasing the pan, then cutting out parchment, placing  it in the pan, and greasing the top of the parchment.







Then I whisked together the flour, salt, and baking powder. I then added the lemon zest and whisked everything together again.







In a separate bowl, I mixed together the eggs, the yogurt and the sugar.









Next, I added the flour mix to the large bowl and stirred until it was just combined.







Then I added the vegetable oil. Molly, the author, warned her readers that this step looks like an absolutely disgusting, oily mess. She wasn't kidding. But per her instructions, I kept stirring, and after a minute or so, the batter turned into a beautiful, pale yellow that looks so smooth. I then poured the batter into the pan and baked for 25-30 min.



Meanwhile, I squeezed the lemon juice for the syrup. Unfortunately, I only had one lemon and I really needed two.








I then added the lemon juice to a bowl with powdered sugar and whisked it together into a syrup.








When the cake was done, I removed the pan from the oven and let the cake cool. After cooling for 15 minutes, I took the cake out of the pan.







I put the cake back on the cooling rack and put the rack over a rimmed baking sheet. I then poured the syrup slowly over the top of the cake, making sure the entire top was covered.






While the cake finished cooling completely, I whisked together the powdered sugar and the lemon juice for the frosting.







When the cake was cool, I moved it to my cake stand. I then spooned the frosting over the cake. The frosting is runny, so it is going to run down the sides. That's ok. It's really supposed to be a glaze.





The frosting eventually hardens and the cake really looks beautiful!







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!