Thursday, June 16, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

Sunday nights are always very bittersweet for me. I love how relaxing and low key they are, but at the same time, I'm usually pretty bummed that the weekend is over. Weekends always seem to go so fast!!!! Add a storm that's brewing with thunder and lightening and you have the perfect recipe for comfort soup. This recipe is a real winner. I cannot say enough about it. Bf even said "this is my new favorite". While we frequently joke that he says that all the time, this time it was with complete seriousness! So you should definitely give it a try!

Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
Adapted from Delightful Country Cookin'
1/2 large onion or 1 small onion, chopped
1 large carrot, sliced
1-2 celery rib (depending on size), chopped
2 T. margarine
1/2 cup flour
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup or a little more chopped cooked chicken breast
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. poultry seasoning
1 cup evaporated milk

To begin the preparations, I started by cooking the rice. Now I must confess. I made a really silly mistake. I read the recipe as 3 cups rice rather than cooked rice. Which really doesn't make much sense now that I think about it. But anyway, I have lots of extra rice. Stayed tuned to see what I do with it.

I also boiled two small chicken breasts and then cut them into bite size pieces.








I also, chopped up the carrots, celery and onion. I then cooked them with a little margarine until the veggies were tender.






Next, I added the flour and stirred a few times so that the flour would absorb the liquid.







I slowly added the chicken broth, a big pour at a time, stirred until the broth thickened, then repeated!







Then, I added the rice, chicken, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. I let the soup come to a boil and cook for about five minutes until the broth thickened again.





Next, I added the milk and stirred everything together.








Once the soup was heated through, I served it in bowls with....








biscuits! I must confess, I used a baking mix. But they turned out great and I really didn't have time to do the soup and the biscuits from scratch. Either way it was a delicious dinner!






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!