Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cream Cheese Frosting

Over the weekend I made a batch of vanilla cupcakes. I know I've been a crazy baking kick lately. But these were for a friend who's been going through a rough patch and that also brings me to a blog announcement: I'm taking a bit of a break from baking. I'm still going to experiment with some great whole wheat bread recipes, but no more sweets. At least until my waist line can better handle it. So, I will still post recipes (of course!), but no desserts for a while. Anyway...back to the cupcakes!

I must confess, I totally cheated with the cake part of these cupcakes. I bought a box of store mix, but they were amazing! I've made an important cupcake-baking discovery though: most people, myself included until this batch, over bake cupcakes. They still taste good, but they tend to crumble and fall apart. But on Saturday when I was baking these, I thought I would see what I could do to remedy the situation. My pink lemonade cupcakes were yummy, but such a mess because they crumbled too easily. So I took these vanilla babies out a minute or two early. It was genius, if I do say so myself. They were so delicious. So, for cupcake fanatics- take note!

Because I was such a baking cheat with the boxed mixed, I felt as though I should at least make a new kind of frosting! For those of you who have read my "recipe blogs" page, you'll know I love the website delish.com. I also get ocassional emails from culinary masters in the Delish kitchen with new suggestions. Well this week, I got an email about Valentine's Day sweets. They have 12 brilliant beyond brilliant desserts for your special someone. It's enough to make me think about moving my "no-sweets" rule back a few weeks......NO! I must persist! Well for those of you who don't need to lose weight and want to see the ideas, go here. As I was perusing these yummy treats, I found this recipe for light cream cheese frosting. What could be better than that? The answer: nothing.

This frosting is absolutely delicious, ridiculously easy to make (only two ingredients!) and calls for LIGHT cream cheese. I'm in frosting heaven. The only downside is that it makes a tinie tiny amount. Basically, in order to frost like 18 cupcakes I needed 8 ounces of light cream cheese and roughly 2.5 cups of powdered sugar. But boy was it worth it.

I also used my new favorite piping trick (a plastic baggie with a tip cut off) to swirl around the frosting. I just think they look more elegant. Don't you agree?





Here is my finished product (the tray is for my friend). And with that....my farewell to sweets.....at least for a while.....







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!