Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Desserts are usually my thing. They come easily to me and I have a pretty decent ability to tell when recipes are going to be a success. To be honest, I don't really like shortbread- or at least I've never had any that I loved. I'm not sure why I chose to make it. That's not entirely true. I was being impatient and it seemed the easiest option. It wasn't fabulous. I think I cooked it a little too much (it wasn't browning like the recipe said it would). Maybe if I could it less and really liked shortbread it would have been good. So if you are a shortbread fan, by all means, give it a try and let me know!

Chocolate Chip Shortbread
From "500 Chocolate Delights"
  • 1 ¼ cup flour
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ cup unsalted butter
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
I started by greasing the bottom of the pan with margarine, cutting out the parchment paper to fit the pan, and then adding another layer of margarine.






Then I whisked together the flour and cornstarch, and then the sugar as well. Next, I chopped the stick of butter into small pieces and then dumped the butter into the bowl. Using my hands, I mixed together the butter and flour mix. Basically, you pinch the butter pieces as though you are trying to push flour into the butter pieces. Eventually the butter will break up into lots of tiny tiny little pieces. I then added the chocolate chips and kneaded the whole thing together. I intended to take a picture of this step, but I was distracted by my incredibly messy hands. I have long nails, so I hate when anything is under my nails and buttery dough is no exception. Essentially, my tendency towards OCD was acting up, so no picture.

Using a spoon, I then flattened the dough evenly into the pan. (Definitely use a spoon because it will make the top nice and flat. First, I tried a fork because I was lazy and it was sitting on the counter, but it really didn't work.) Then, using a super sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges.


I baked for about 50 minutes at 325, but I think 45 minutes would make more sense. According to my bf, the shortbread actually got better with time. Maybe staleness is shortbread's best friend?






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!