Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cappuccino Cupcakes

I am blessed with many wonderful things in my life, one of which is the friendship of incredibly thoughtful people. (Yeah corny I know, but you'll see why, it's so true!) One of my girlfriends recently gave me a double boiler! As you may know based on my wish list, I have wanted one for ages. Apparently, imagine my surprise, most people don't regularly make intricate desserts and sauces. I don't know why, it's their loss. However, it makes them very hard to find, especially on budget.

But, my wonderful friend looked on my wish list for inspiration and surprised me with a double boiler and a chocolate cookbook. To say I was excited would be an understatement. There was squealing, wiggling and I do believe some jazz hands.



Anyway, the first free night I could find, I needed to give my double boiler and new cook book a test run. So tonight I decided to tackle these cupcakes. They are delicious and so unusual. They make a great snack with coffee or alone, but they are also super rich, so be prepared!




Cappuccino Cupcakes
From 500 Chocolate Delights
-3 eggs
-3/4 cup superfine sugar
-1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
-1/4 cup cocoa powder
-3/4 unsalted butter or margarine
-1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
-1 tbsp. milk
-4 oz. white chocolate chips
-2 1/2 tbsp. cold black strong coffee
-1 cup powdered sugar
-chocolate chips for decoration (optional)

First, I combined the first seven ingredients (the eggs through the milk) using a hand mixer until it was smooth. Then I spooned the batter into the the cups. I have to admit, I was a bit suspicious about this batter. It's really really thick. But it turns out great, you'll see. However, I think I would have spooned just a little less into each cup, because it only made 14 cupcakes.

I baked the cupcakes for about 17 minutes at 350 degrees and then let them cool completely on a rack.







When I began to make the frosting, my incorrigible need to multi-task kicked in. I ended up talking to my mom on the phone and thus, the frosting steps were not photographed. But anyway, this is how it worked. Using my double boiler (yay!) I melted the coffee and the white chips together. Once the chocolate mix was smooth, I stirred it into the powdered sugar using a mix. I then spooned a little frosting onto each cupcake. A word of warning- the recipe doesn't make much frosting, so you only want a small spoonful on each cupcake. You really need much more than that anyway. Then just flatten the frosting so it covers the majority of the top of the cupcake. Then place a little chip on top and all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!