Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Review: Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant


This was a book my mom loaded onto my Kindle, which she gave to me last year for my graduation. Since I just finished it in early May, clearly I dragged my feet on this one. I guess I was sort of in a non-fiction rut, but not that I opened the can of fiction beans, I can't stop! Seriously, I have two more fiction books to post about after this one that I sped through. 

Sacred Hearts was fabulous. As a lover of historical fiction, there isn't much that surprises me in the genre anymore. But this story was definitely out of the ordinary, the characters weren't the usual royals or courtiers, and the time period was definitely unexpected. The story is based in an Italian covenant, Sainta Caterina during the Renaissance. Although the story is predominantly about women, the characters are incredibly complex, fascinating and it makes the story multi-dimensional. The story also incorporates amazing knowledge about plants, medicine, music and antique books.

As most historical fictions do, Sacred Hearts has a certain element of romance running through the plot, but it isn't overwhelming or fake. In fact, the ending actually surprised me, but in a really good way. One note however, if you are against Catholicism or religion, this might not be the book for you as it does incorporate many of the psalms, prayers and thoughts of the nuns- which are inherently religious. I would never consider myself a religious person and I really enjoyed the story, so I think it's not really a problem.

Enjoy! If you do read it, let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!