Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blueberry Banana Oat Cake

The name of this dish is really quite  vague. The dish is more like a chewy, biscuit-mash, thick oatmeal-like bowl of deliciousness. It also takes all of five minutes from start to finish and requires five ingredients. So to sum up, best breakfast/snack ever.

I got the recipe here and made only a few tiny tweaks. Below are the ingredients. You could also make this treat with frozen raspberries or blackberries

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
a few vigorous shakes of cinnamon
1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1 ripe banana

First, I mashed up the banana in a small bowl. I actually could have used an even smaller bowl than I did. Make sure the banana is really mashed- it serves as your liquid in the dish.





Then I added the oats, brown sugar and cinnamon and mixed with a fork until the whole thing was well blended. At first you may be inclined to think "there is no way there is enough banana/liquid to hold all of these oats together" but keep going and it will all work out.



Next, I added in the blueberries and gently stirred. The nice thing about frozen blueberries is you don't have to worry about them breaking up too much.





After mixing, I spooned the mash into a pyrex. Mine was about 5-6 inches across. I then microwaved the whole thing uncovered for 4 minutes. Next time I think I'll do 4:30 so the top is a bit crunchy. However, if you are using a bigger dish and the mash is more spread out 4 should work just fine.


After letting the dish sit for a few minutes in the microwave to cool and set, this is what it looked like. It was absolutely delicious! I managed to save a little bit for my bf who "mmmm-ed" his way through the entire few bites I avoided. Seriously. You should try this stuff, it's so worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!