Saturday, June 11, 2011

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Every cook and baker should have one dish that they can make successfully any time, any where, regardless of tools, environment and altitude. For me, my go-to dessert is this recipe. It is by far the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had. Almost anyone I've given them to would agree. The other day I tried to post it on another blog and realized, to my horror, I hadn't written about it here. I was shocked. These cookies are such an integral part of who I am as a cook, I guess I just assumed I had discussed them in the very beginning of my blog experience. But, oh well, I am remedying the situation now.
The recipe was originally called "Jane's Chocolate Chip Cookies" out of an ancient California Fresh cookbook which looks like it was first printed in the Dark Ages. In actuality, it has just been loved like no other cookbook in my mom's house. Although it pains me a little to give away all of my secrets, I've decided to give out my recipe:

1 1/3 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
24 ounces chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopping walnuts

Here's how it's done: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.




Then, cream together the sugars and the butter.









Next, add eggs and mix. Add vanilla and mix again.







Then, add flour, salt, baking powder and mix. At this point, clean off the beaters (enjoy the dough if you'd like, it's amazing!). Then, add the chocolate chips and the walnuts and mix with a spoon or spatula rather than the hand mixer. The dough gets seriously thick! I didn't add walnuts this time because I ran out, and they are delicious either way, although they hold their shape better with walnuts.


As you can see, this dough is not for someone who likes only one or two chocolate chips in their cookies. But let's be honest, who chooses a chocolate chip cookie if you don't like chocolate?









Then I put little balls of dough on a parchment-lined pan. One of the keys to having thick and round cookies is to take the extra second and round the dough into little balls with your hands. Yes, it's messy, but sooooo worth it. Make sure you leave lots of space in between the balls because they really spread out.








I then cook the cookies for 8-10 minutes depending on how big the dough balls are. Make sure you take the cookies out before you think they are done. You want the edges to be a little golden brown but the tops to still be shiny.
I let the cookies cool on the pan for about two minutes, then I move them to a cooling rack. As you can see, these flattened out a lot because there weren't any walnuts, but they were amazing anyway. Eat them hot, cold, or my personal favorite: with milk! Yummy yummy yummy!








No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!